We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Hi, was wondering if anyone could tell me which of these hotels to stay in, we are touring Sri Lanka next March, I believe the Tea factory is a lot further out of town is it worth the extra travelling we will be staying for two night only, we do have a driver and car available at all times.

Thanks in advance

Dazzling Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Michelle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Rainbow Tours Sri Lanka
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
8 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,450 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Hmm... The tea factory is a bit away from it all but two nights will make that alright. Traditionally, Tea Factory is the better hotel with a higher standard.

The Grand Hotel however has gone through refurbishments and I was impressed with the lounge areas and the set up. The garden is the best I've seen in the area and it's located right in the middle of town. Only downside is that I've read a few average reviews online regarding the rooms, which is surprising since the general areas are maintained extremely well.

If you want to experience tea estates and views, pick Tea Factory. If you want to have your morning coffee in a rose garden, and tee off in the evening, then pick the Grand, preferably with a room upgrade.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

And also if you want to buy your own batch of 'SLR tea', pick TF. They have a special package, not that expensive, where first morning you go with the tea pickers on their own estate and help picking. Then this batch enters into the mini factory opposite the hotel, gets the usual 24h process of drying/fermenting etc., and next morning it's ready to bring home and spread over friends and family! Quite an unique souvenir...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

I would select Tea Factory any day! Its about a 30 - 40 min drive to Nuwara Eliya, so not too far off. TF is an experiential hotel!

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

I've looked and looked and can't find an answer to this. Is it possible to pick your own tea in Nuwara Eliya without staying at the Heritance Tea Factory hotel. We are a family of 5 and the hotel seems much too pricey for all of us to stay there. But we would love to pick our own tea and bring it home as a souvenir. Does anyone know if it is possible to pay to pick the tea there and stay at a cheaper hotel nearby? Thank you.

Level Contributor
1,049 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Hi momofthree

If you visit eliya you can pop into the TF buy your own. It's available at the mini ORGANIC tea factory just outside the TF hotel. It's about a half an hour drive from eliya town.

Good luck

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Well that's not an answer. The package I talked about consists of 2 moments: morning 1 go with the tea pickers and collect the leaves, then it's a special batch labeled 'Momofthreetea' or whatever, and morning 2 you come back when that batch is ready.

Frankly said, no one here seems to know hence you would have to ask the hotel (or let your local Lankan agent do so) yourself. Note that there is hardly other accomodation nearby Kandapola hence the 2 moments would really be 2 x 30-45 minutes riding. (Or maybe you can arrange that morning 2 they deliver the tea to your accomodation, with you paying the transport cost of the delivery man).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Thank you Riz_SL for replying! And thank you ErikdR! I will contact the hotel and see if it is possible to pick tea without staying there. And thanks for your many other posts. We are very excited to spend 10 days in Sri Lanka in April and much of your information in the forum is helpful! I hope I will be able to take home some Momofthree tea :-)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel

Yes, here is the link

heritancehotels.com/teafactory/pluck-your-ow…

for the package, cost Rs 500/person; but no mention of validity for outsiders hence good you contact them.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Reply to: Heritance Tea Factory or Grand Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Central Province
More Central Province Topics