We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon, where to?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon, where to?

Hi Guys!

I have a newbie question for you coming from a completely new comer in this part of the world.

My girlfriend and I are planning to spend our honeymoon in Sri Lanka this year in early September. And as its the first time traveling to this beautiful country I have real big issues trying to find that perfect spot to stay. We don`t know what to choose between Hikkaduwa, Unawatuna and Mirissa. We really like snorkeling (and all about water sports) and nice laid back holidays on the beach, but still don`t want to get stuck 100% in a resort.

So i wonder if you guys can please help us with some advices choosing that perfect spot and hopefully a decent 4* hotel (we are not that picky but its our honeymoon however :) ) keeping in mind that period of the year.

Big Thanks!

Mars

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

Snorkeling is impossible on the south and west coast in September.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,337 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

You will have to choose the east coast destinations in September.

Check out trincomalee and the Passikudah area. Both have 4 star range hotels that should suit a honeymoon

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

...but hardly any restaurants outside the hotels.

Hans

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,706 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

unfortunately September is a bad month for what you are looking for. Yes, all the nice beaches that are full of life and lots of things to do, they are all on the south coast and as others above mentioned, it's the wrong month for the south coast. So you need to go to the east coast (Nilaveli, trinco, passekudah pigeonIsland etc) but as Hans pointed out, besides the beach and snorkeling, there is nothing else to do there.

why not combine a tour of Sri lanka, and then go to Maldives for the beach and snorkeling? make sure you go for at least 10 days and pick a good atoll/resort with a good reef.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

Thanks guys for your replies, Maldives is not an option because its definitely out of our budget.

But i`m thinking now couple of days in Hikka and the rest in Trincomalee would do the trick. Do you think is this an option?

I mean i understand snorkeling and diving in Hikka are not available that period but that doesn't mean Hikka is not accessible at all, right?

Thx

M

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

Marius

I was in Hikka at the beginning of October. The swell was up but still fine for swimming on the beaches in safe locations. There were plenty of people snorkelling around the reef protected areas as well. If you want to enjoy Hikka, just do it. Unawatuna was fairly protected and had watersports also. You can then head north east for the next part of your honeymoon.

Good luck,

Mark

7. Re: Honeymoon, where to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, February 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Southern Province
More Southern Province Topics