We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Greetings!!

We are planning our first trip to Sri Lanka in April/May next year; after a 15 day tour we plan to spend some time in Colombo, Galle and then relax in one of the coastal towns.

I have read a lot information, but am rather confused on the best place for us. We are in our late 30’s and have spent many relaxing holidays in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia in beautiful resorts and small boutique hotels. We are looking for somewhere that has a choice of restaurants, small bars, a mini mart and some markets would be good, but we are certainly not looking for loud, busy and sleazy nightclubs; in contrast we don’t want it to be so quiet and with nothing around, that it is boring with nothing to do. I am considering Unawatuna, Hikkaduwa, Bentota, or Mirissa, but unsure of what these towns are actually like, considering our criteria. A few words to sum up these towns from those who really know these places, would be great.

In addition, we are want to stay in accommodation that is within walking distance of restaurants/bars of an evening, must have great pool, as we don’t really swim at the beach and we prefer smaller type hotels/resorts. I have looked at the Asian Jewel Hotel in Hikkaduwa (looks fab & reviews are amazing), but concerned we would have to rely on tuk tuks to get around during the day/evening. Other accommodation I have looked at include Thaproban Pavillian Resort & Spa (Unawatuna), Frangapani Tree (Unawatuna), Paradise Road The Villa (Bentota)...looking to spend no more than $200 p/n or so.

With so many choices, we want to stay in the right town and the right hotel (for us)...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

rech :-)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Mirissa! Nice and quiet. It's sociable but not a massive party scene. Lots of restaraunts down on the beach to choose from. Though there isn't an awful lot to do around there except for the beach! If you're there at the right time of year whale watching is a possibility.

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

I am getting the feeling that Mirissa is going to be far too quiet for us, so info on some of the other towns and what they are like would be great :-)

What is the 2 km walk like from Asian Jewel hotel into town...is it a leisurely walk or is a tuk tuk a must? This hotel really ticks most of the boxes, apart from close location to restaurants.

Many Thanks,

rech

swindon
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Have you thought of renting a villa with pool , we are off to Tangalle in May three bed three bathroom villa with pool 5 minutes from town of Tangalle £78 pound per night for whole villa plus breakfast ..

You also normally get your own cook who will do your meals for a small fee.

We chose this option for the privacy it gave us , maybe not for everyone .

I have noticed most do a minimum of three nights

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Would you be able to give me the details to book a place like this? Thanks!

swindon
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

I have sent you a private message with details , if you need any more information please message me ,

and i will do my best to help

Australia
Level Contributor
304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Thanks but not really interested in renting a villa...would prefer to stay at a smaller/boutique style hotel.

Any further information on what sets each of the small coastall towns apart from each other would be great?

Thanks

rech

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,062 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

Hikkaduwa is def the most upbeat town along the coast. There is a bit more nightlife and a better range of restaurants then say, Mirissa or Unawatuna. In saying that, the latter 2 were just beautiful for relaxing and if you opt for one of them, make sure you pick a hotel on the western ends of the beach as the beaches are currently scoured.

I ended up staying at the Time and Tide Resort in Hikka. I took a room on the 2nd level, the bathrooms were new, the bedrooms a great size, with aircon, mini fridge and balcony with seaviews. $40 a night which included breakfast served on the beach. Outstanding.

Good luck,

Mark

8. Re: Which coastal town and what place to stay??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Southern Province
More Southern Province Topics