We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much to spend on food ?

london
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
how much to spend on food ?

Ok everyone, I was thinking let me post this question,first of all for our help and then for the others as well, perhaps not all of us have a lot to spend so maybe we can elp with tips;

so how or where shall we eat to end up at a quiet affordable figure if we stay in a hotel which includes in the price just breakfast;

roughfly i've seen that minimum is 20euro/head/meal, that means for two people everyday is going to be at least 100euros which adding up to the hotel bill and flights it want be too cheap;

there is any chance to find supermarkets and buy some food from eg sandwiches for lunch or some other type of food which we can just eat out of the hotel;

looking forward for your reply

kind regrads

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much to spend on food ?

Hi justadriana,

eating out in Italy is pricey indeed, especially in touristy areas. Even though I woud suggest having one or two meals at a restaurant, you can perfectly buy delicious local cheese and cold cuts, a piece of focaccia and some wine and fruit and have a picnic. A few years ago they would even prepare the sandwiches for you, but few supermarkets do it now. In larger supermarkets chances are you will find an array of ready take-away food including pasta, meats, potatoes, and spit roasted chicken is also widely available and cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
london
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much to spend on food ?

it's exactly what I was thinking, hopefuly we can find some supermarkets or proper shops in cala gonone so we can grab some nice italian fresh backed bread , chesse, ham etc and just have it on the beach or somewhere out as a picnic;

by the way , we have booked now or holiday for 19th June in cala gonone, can't wait

Edited: 3:56 pm, March 16, 2010
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much to spend on food ?

I haven't been to Cala Gonone, but I've checked and there is at least one supermarket there. Anyway even in the smallest village in Italy you will always find at least a "salumeria" or "alimentari", which are small shops that sell food and a little bit of everything. Sometimes in seaside resorts which are pretty dead in low season, supermarkets could only open during high season, since you go on 19th June they would definitely be open anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Gonone
Cala Gonone
Sardinia, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
4. Re: how much to spend on food ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, September 13, 2010