We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

My wife and I will be spending nine days in Western Bohemia in late July 2013. We intend to spend three nights at the Quisisana Palace in Karlovy Vary and want to stay the last two nights in Prague.

We are keen to visit Český Krumlov, so have four days to travel there. I'm assuming one night in Český Krumlov will be sufficient, so that leaves us three days and nights to meander down there.

I'd be most grateful for suggestions as to a suitable itinerary, together with recommendations for hotels for overnight stays.

6 replies to this topic
the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

Late July is a busy time for the Czech Republic in general -- many Czech families are on vacation. Cesky Krumlov will be busy during the day. It might be better to spend 2 nights in Cesky Krumlov and if it gets too busy during the day, explore some of the beautiful surrounding countryside and perhaps nearby castles. B&Bs in Cesky Krumlov tend to be better value than hotels.

www.barbakan.cz/index.php…

make sure to get a room with a river view (as opposed to a street view)

Will you be traveling by car?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

Thank you for your reply. What I was looking for was advice on the journey from KV to CK.

I will be hiring a car for the whole vacation.

Hradec Kralove...
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

Just check your vignette on front window (on highway is neccesary), and dont forget to use your lights. The speed limits are 50/90/130 km/h. All places where you are going to stay are very overcrowded so that you have to pay for parking.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

There are some very nice towns and places between Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov. The spa town Marianske Lazne, Pisek with the oldest stone bridge in Central Europe (yes, older than the Charles Bridge), Plzen (produces the best beer in the world), Strakonice, Prachatice (geat sgrafito buildings on the square), not to mention the whole Sumava national park. It is a very scenic drive. Of course, you can't stop everywhere, but I'd recommend doing some research on these places and see what catches your eye.

There are some great chateaux and castles on the way from Cesky Krumlov to Prague: Hluboka nad Vltavou, Orlik, Zvikov...

I would definitely spend two nights in Cesky Krumlov.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karlovy Vary to Český Krumlov

Thanks very much for that advice

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply