We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

Axbridge, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

Now this is a long shot ...

Many many years ago I was working in Ostrava in the Czech Republic. One weekend I drove to Krakow and Oswiecim (Auschwitz). On the way back I came across a beautiful large church, set up high but not far from the road. It was ornate baroque and there was an orthodox service going on. It was a beautiful experience, but I cannot for the life of me remember where it was. I think I took the road via Bielsko Biala rather than Pawlowice.

I'm going back to Krakow with my wife on Monday for a few days, and would love to find the church. Does it ring any bells (ha ha) with anyone, or are there so many that it could be one of several ?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

I have a book at home about all orthodox and greek- catholic churches in Poland and there is not even a single church in this part of the country. In addition, I couldn't also find any information in the internet. The nearest one seems to be in Sosnowiec which is an industrial town in Silesia. There are lots od those churches east of Kraków but thats definitely not the way to Ostrawa. Are you sure it was an orthodox church?

Axbridge, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

Hi and thanks for the response. It is quite possible that it wasn't orthodox - it was a long time ago, and my memory may well have let me down.

Krakow, Poland
Destination Expert
for Krakow
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

It's a long shot but try google maps - although the street view function doesn't cover southern Polish roads (yet), there are lots of photos that have been posted and linked to a location. Who knows - you may just get lucky...

4. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:42 pm, January 26, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

Long shot but... Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, maybe?

kalwaria.wkraj.pl/index.php…

Axbridge, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

Thanks - and that is beautiful, but not the one I'm after.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

Well it was a try...

Karlskrona, Sweden
Level Contributor
123 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

I think it might have been Tyniec polskamisja.ch/marly/…tyniec_z_lotu_ptaka.jpg

Edited: 6:06 am, January 27, 2013
9. Re: A church somewhere in Southern Poland !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, November 19, 2015