We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Budapest

Antwerp, Belgium
4 posts
Save Topic
Trains from Budapest

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to do a railtrip this summer and because the train from Budapest to Ljubljana takes 9 hours, we would like to do a stop at Lake Balaton, but it appears to me that all trains from Budapest to Ljubljana go via Vienna, is this true or am I just not looking right?

Thanks for the help

12 replies to this topic
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Budapest

elvira.mav-start.hu/elvira.dll/xslvzs/index…

204 AGRAM to Zagreb, ( near lake Balaton) then 498 to Ljubljana with direct "vagon"

All year:

www.mav-start.hu/res/204_205_agram_13.pdf

Antwerp, Belgium
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Budapest

Thank you very, very much, does every train go by Zagreb?

and do you perhaps know if an interrailpass is valuable on this train?

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
258 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Budapest

Via Zagreb all year as in my first pdf file.

From 2013.06.24 to 2013.08.30 From Bud to Lju every monday(1) and thursday (4) "ISTRIA" train :

www.mav-start.hu/res/1246_1247_istria_13.pdf

All information from this site:

http://www.elvira.hu/utazas/szlovenia.php

( but it has not english version)

Interrail: I do not knew.

Antwerp, Belgium
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Budapest

Thanks for the help

Sicily, Italy
Level Contributor
134 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Budapest

What about trains March, April, May going from Trieste or maybe Venezia to Budapest?

In Italy everyone has a diffrent answer to this question, so I turn to the TA experts.

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Budapest

Train from Budapest to Venice (via Zagreb & Ljubljana) was canceled few years ago and it won't coming back any time soon. So now most time of the year it's only about ONE (and the only) train from Hungary to Zagreb with through carriage to Ljubljana

Although during summer there will be also twice a week direct overnight train from Budapest to Ljubljana & Koper (last year it was Budapest-Ljubljana-Pula train)

Miami
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Budapest

Hi Europetrainsguide! You give excellent advice so I'm hoping you can assist. We are going in May to Budapest and Northern Croatia (Istria/Zagreb) for 6 days but we are having a hard time determining how to get there. We are traveling on a budget and the flights are too expensive. We can't take an overnight train because of the month we are going in. The only trains available seem to be in the middle of the day (causing us to lose a day but if its the only times, we are willing to do it) the only problem is we can't purchase a train ticket as of now. Everyone is suggesting to buy a train ticket from Budapest to Zagreb the day of but we are traveling from the U.S. and we like to book everything beforehand. What do you suggest is the best way to get to Croatia from Budapest? Thank you so much in advance for all your help. Happy travels !!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Budapest

You can't book it beforehand - just buy when you get there, €32 return which is fully flexible on any trains between the cities and the ticket is valid for one month.

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trains from Budapest

Christina, currently (and in May) the day time train (13:20-19:45) you've mentioned is more or less the only relatively simple option to get from Budapest to Zagreb. And everyone suggesting to buy tickets already in Budapest, since for that train seat reservation isn't required, thus you board the train and take any seat, so basically purchase in advance is rather useless in such cases.

However you still can purchase tickets online via MAV (Hungarian Railways) website (with the idea to print them later in Budapest from MAV ticket machine). MAV used to allow purchase of only return tickets Budapest-Zagreb, but now they also seem to sell one-way as well

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Trains from Budapest

Hi,

I wanted to take a train from Budapest to Lake Balaton. What is that stop that I should book from Budapest.

Reply to: Trains from Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Somogy County