We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

I will be visiting my nephew who lives in LA.

We will be going up to SFO after our visit and want to drive the Big Sur do the 17-Mile Drive.

How many hours does it usually take and what sights are important to stop at and visit?

I think we would like to stay overnight in Monterrey. Would it be possible to do LA to Monterrey in one day making the necessary sight seeing stops?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

The mostly coastal route Highway 101 to San Luis Obispo, then Highway 1 thru Big Sur to Monterey, and then Highway 17 back to Highway 101 to San Francisco is about 8+ hours of driving (not counting sight seeing or the 17 mile drive). Highlights include:

Santa Barbara (including the mission); Hearst Castle, Big Sur, Carmel/17 mile drive/Monterey, and San Francisco.

I would recommend stopping at San Simeon (Hearst Castle) taking the tour there (they have night tours). See 17 mile drive the next day on the way to San Francisco. Of course, you could make other overnight stops, but I get the impression you only want one stop.

See www.hearstcastle.org for information on Hearst Castle.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

I would allow at least two days, preferably three or more, for this drive. Technically, PCH ends at Oxnard, Monterrey is in Mexico, and SFO is an airport.

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/

for the best of the drive.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

Bayatuning, instead of just telling woffle when he's wrong, how about giving him the correct information?

The CA SR1 portion from San Luis Obispo to I-280 (just south of San Francisco) is the Cabrillo Highway (not PCH).

In California, it's Monterey.

SFO is the airport, and, for all Bayatuning knows, that's where you're driving too.

I would like to see you spend a night in Morro Bay, either before or after seeing Hearst Castle.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
626 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

We just did this drive a couple of weeks ago.

Make sure you have great maps first and foremost. I used the one from the CA state tourism dept. and it wasn't that great. We got really turned around and frustrated in Oxnard (you have to get on 101 here). 1 merges with other highways at points.

It took us about 5 1/2 hours to get to Big Sur from LA, then another 3 hours to get into San Fran. The 1 becomes city streets in SF, past Daly City or whatever it's called. We called two people for directions to the wharf and they were like "Hwy 1? Never heard of it.....". Too funny.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

FromtheBlu, sorry, didn't mean to "telling woffle". Guess I could've given the corrections, but people often take that as pedantry. Just wanted to give a heads up on the terms used here. So many people call the Cabrillo Highway "PCH" that it almost doesn't matter, but when they get here, they'll find that locals don't use "PCH" for the coast highway north of Santa Barbara at least. Anyway the link I gave is a great intor the the Big Sur coast. Have a great trip y'all.

6. Re: How long is the drive from LA to SFO along the PCH?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 26, 2009