We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

Fremont, CA
4 posts
Save Topic
Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

My two cousins and their families are coming from Chicago and Houston to visit us. We want to have a great get together in a quite, scenic place. There will be 2 kids also, they are under 3 years. We love food also, want to have cheap and decent restaurant nearby. We are looking for less than $350 for each nigh to stay. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

I don't know a lot about Big Sur lodging, but I have an alternative to offer: Pacific Grove. It's not as quiet as Big Sur, but it's pretty peaceful. Andril Fireplace Cottages (www.andrilcottages.com) has 2 bedrooom cottages, as well as a few houses that would easily accomodate your group. I don't know when you're traveling, but the rates vary according to the time of year. The good thing about Pacific Grove is that it is a quiet, slow-moving town, the least touristy one on the Monterey Peninsula--plus, there are any number of reasonable restaurants nearby.

Fremont, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually we been to Pacific Grove, so we want to see some new place.

So are you saying that, Big sur is not that good for the family trip, what we are planning?

Fremont, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

After searching through the forum mails, I found few hotels name.

. Glen Oaks - they take cash, not a big deal

. DEETJEN'S - walls are thin, breakfast is great

. Big sur Lodge

I am very much inclined for Glen Oaks.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

No, I wasn't saying that you couldn't enjoy Big Sur--just that I really can't recommend a place to stay. The other poster mentioned Deetjen's, and I have a friend who goes there often and likes it, so you might give it a look. I hope you have a great trip.

5. Re: Recommendation for accommodation in Big Sur(8 adults + 2 kid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 17, 2009