We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Weekend

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Camping Weekend

What's the best recommendation for a place to camp for Friday and Saturday nights and do a hike/hikes on Saturday with the possibility of a short one on Sunday morning. I'm driving down to Big Sur from SF so would like not to do an excessive amount of driving. Also willing to move campsites for the two nights.

In short, does anyone have a great itinerary for two nights of camping and hiking in big sur?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Weekend

When are you planning on going? Pfeiffer Big Sur is nice but fills up early for summer dates so book early. Andrew Molera requires a short 0.25 mile walk in and is first come so if you drive down Fri morning you should be able to snag one spot. There are US forest campsites but further south so would involve more driving that you want.

Edited: 2:41 am, July 24, 2013
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping Weekend

Spur of the moment trip for this weekend. The earliest we could pass through Carmel would be 3:00 on friday.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,053 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping Weekend

Do you have reservations already? Look at some of the private ones as well.

Greenbelt, Maryland
Level Contributor
49 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping Weekend

I camped in two campgrounds, Pfeiffer-Big Sur SP and Plaskett Creek. Both are very near good to great hiking. The former is one of the best redwood locales in Big Sur; the trails are excellent and will fully occupy you for a day or two. Pfeiffer Beach - the coolest beach I ever saw - is not far away. Plaskett Creek is not far from the Vicente Flat hike which I can't recommend more highly for redwoods and coastal views. It's also practically right next to Sand Dollar Beach - maybe the best walking beach in Big Sur - and Jade Cove, a cool rocky coast with a rugged trail down and back. And there is more, near both spots, that I don't write about here.

Get Barry Parr's Explore! Big Sur Country or Analise Elliott Heid's Hiking and Backpacking Big Sur for more info.

5. Re: Camping Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 28, 2015