We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kirk Crk Drinking Water? Rec for spot en route to Yosemite?

las vegas
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kirk Crk Drinking Water? Rec for spot en route to Yosemite?

Hello all. I'm reading contradictory info on Kirk Creek Campground. We have reservations there in March 2013. Is there potable/drinking water on site? Sinks? Toilets?

After Kirk we'll be heading through San Simeon/Paso Robles/Fresno on Hwy 41 to Yosemite. Any suggestions for a quick overnight camping stop to preposition for an earlier arrival into Yosemite?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,150 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kirk Crk Drinking Water? Rec for spot en route to Yosemite?

There is a KOA in Coarsegold, but I don't know if it's open in March. There are also some Forest Service campgrounds around Fish Camp, but again, they might not be open in March.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kirk Crk Drinking Water? Rec for spot en route to Yosemite?

I haven't been to Kirk Creek myself, but according to recreation.gov for Kirk Creek:

Each site is equipped with a table and campfire ring with grill. Vault toilets, sinks and drinking water are provided throughout the campground.

The Wawona Campground is about 5 hours drive from Kirk Creek and would be a good choice as there is a lot of sites available this March. Just go to recreation.gov to book your spot.

Wawona is within the Yosemite park boundaries and will set you up very nicely with a 1 hour drive into Yosemite Valley. You might also have some time to hang out at the Wawona Hotel or Mariposa Grove of big trees after you set up camp. The Wawona campground is pleasant with running potable water, flush toilets but no showers with some sites right by the Merced River.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kirk Crk Drinking Water? Rec for spot en route to Yosemite?

Kirk Creek has water and even flush toilets but the last time we camped there were signs warning not to drink the water. Bring your own just in case.

Bass Lake has a campground open year round but your site could still be snow covered in March.

…usda.gov/recarea/…

4. Re: Kirk Crk Drinking Water? Rec for spot en route to Yosemite?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 16, 2013