We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Staying 2 night in Yosemite at Curry. Plan to leave early AM to go to Marisopa, then on to Big Sur area for 2 nights, then back to SFO. Any suggestions on where to stay for the 2 nights in the Big Sur area. Not sure how long it takes to drive. Want to visit Marispoa Groves before we head to Big Sur, so we probably wouln't leave until the afternoon for our ride to Big Sur

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

I would just pick some place in Carmel, Monterey or Pacific Grove to spend the 2 nights. After you are done visiting the Mariposa Grove, you would leave the park at the southern entrance, very close to the Mariposa Grove. The next town is Oakhurst, and from Oakhurst to Monterey is 175 miles, about 3.5 hours of driving time plus time spent at stops along the way. Depending on what time you leave Yosemite, you will get to Monterey in the late afternoon or evening, so you wouldn't have time to see Big Sur that day anyway. If you arrived in the Monterey area while it is still light, you may have time to see something, such as a beach or even go over to Point Lobos for the last couple hours of daylight. You didn't say when this trip is, so we don't know what time the sunset time is. But I would save the Big Sur drive for the next day. Drive from wherever you stay in Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel south on Highway 1 through Big Sur, at least to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and back up north to Monterey, making stops along the way. Stay the second night in Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove, then the next morning head up to SFO.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

"...Not sure how long it takes to drive."......

6 to 8+ hours depending on the route chosen.

Agree with bw92116 with staying in Monterey/Carmel and visiting Big Sur as a day trip. You'll find more lodging options on the Monterey Peninsula compared to the spartan offerings in Big Sur.

Monterey to Big Sur is approx. a 1 hour drive.

Edited: 9:52 pm, June 06, 2012
Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Thak you so much. We are traveling July 10 and 11th. Any other suggestions. Where would be the best sunset? Any hidden out of the way, do not miss stops?

Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Also, I was thinking of doing the 17 mile drive. How could that fit in. We don't need to be at the SFO airport until late in the evening on Thursday which is the 12th.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Personally, I think the 17 mile drive is over-rated and would rather spend time walking in nature rather than driving through it. You could spend part of your last day at Pt. Lobos, which is more beautiful.

Edited: 10:18 am, June 07, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Sunrise in Yosemite Valley on July 10 will be 5:45 a.m. Sunset on July 10 and 11 in Monterey is at 8:28 p.m. So you will have over 14 hours of daylight to work with each of those days.

You can work in the 17-Mile Drive to your schedule if you want to. Having been to both the 17-Mile Drive and Point Lobos. I believe Point Lobos is better, and the price is the same, $10 for each. But there's no reason not to do the 17-Mile Drive if you want to do that.

I would start a new thread in the Monterey Peninsula forum, for help with locating lodging in the area and for help with planning out your time in that area. The destination experta and other members who visit that forum regularly, like KibblesMom, PGDenizen and Mr. Toy, can help you plan your schedule for Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g580824-i10632-Mon…

Edited: 10:53 am, June 07, 2012
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,063 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

Hi Irene

There are a few good places to watch the sunset on the Monterey Peninsula. Carmel Beach, Asilomar Beach in neighboring Pacific Grove, Point Lobos, and even some spots along Cannery Row and Fisherman's Wharf.

If you're interested in doing a sunset beach walk, you can park just above the Best Western Beach Resort off Highway 1 on the north end of town and experience the sunset there.

Since you'll be arriving late in the day on the 10th, you may get there in time to see the sunset, but it really depends on how late you get started from Yosemite. I would try to leave Mariposa Grove no later than 2 pm to ensure enough daylight for the drive.

The following morning (Start early), visit Point Lobos State Reserve (2 miles south of Carmel) for a few hours. If you only have time for one trail, I suggest Cypress Grove. Then continue south toward Big Sur. Make a 10-15 minute stop at Bixby Bridge for photos and to get an up close look at this beautifully engineered span.

As you continue toward Big Sur, you'll likely see Point Sur...... a lighthouse atop a hill that sits alone rising from out of the sea. I say likely because it could be enshrouded by fog in July, which makes it that much more intriguing. (It's only accessible with a scheduled tour, though)

From there the highway starts to move inland toward the "village" of Big Sur where most of the lodgings, restaurants, shops, etc. are located. You'll be welcomed into the area by redwood trees lining both sides of the highway.

If you're interested in seeing Pfeiffer Beach, watch for Sycamore Canyon Road as you're driving through Big Sur. It's not far past the entrance to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park. You'll go over a level with the road bridge and it will be the first right hand turn you'll see. There is a sign, but it's a warning sign that RV's are not recommended. The road will be twisty and narrow for a ways before you reach the beach area. I believe it costs $5.00 to park there.

Continue south and stop at Nepenthe for lunch, enjoy a burger, salad or sandwich while gazing at the amazing views of Big Sur coastline. Then browse the gift store off the parking lot. Even the store has great views from their back deck.

From Nepenthe, continue 8 miles south to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park where McWay Falls is located. This is where the famous waterfall that drops onto an inaccessible beach is located. Your pay stub from Point Lobos will get you into Julia Pfeiffer Burns SP, so you won't have to pay for the second park. The overlook trail is a short, easy walk from the parking lot.

If you manage to get back to Carmel between 4 and 5 pm, then you could fit the 17 Mile Drive into your itinerary. The easiest gate to access would be by taking the Highway 68/Pacific Grove exit from Highway 1 (Stay in the right lane as you pass through Carmel). You'll go over the highway and then you'll want to make a left turn at the first light. That turn will be for Highway 1 south, but there are two lanes there and one of them is for the 17 Mile Drive. Once you get past Pebble Beach, the drive moves inland, so you might want to exit at the Carmel gate and enjoy dinner somewhere in Carmel before returning to your hotel.

Next morning, walk Cannery Row, visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium, rent bikes and ride the bike trail through pretty Pacific Grove, enjoying the rocky shoreline and the beautiful Victorian homes (Some are B&B's) that overlook the bay.

Enjoy your visit to California, Irene.

Edited: 10:56 am, June 07, 2012
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

I'm not the original poster, but I am traversing a similar route (but in reverse) and y'all have helped me out already on a few things.

As far as drive times, if I were leaving Big Sur (Glen Oaks) and headed TO the Mariposa entrance of Yosemite, can you comment on drive time and route. Google suggest going back up Rt 1 thru Carmel/Monterey and then east toward Yosemite.

We will have completed our 'official' touring of Big Sur and Point Lobos, etc by then, so we wouldn't need to plan for stops along the coast. Any thoughts as to drive time if we were to leave Big Sur at 8am (traveling midweek in September)

Google Maps is coming in right about 6 hours.

Edited: 5:37 pm, June 07, 2012
9. Re: Yosemenite,Big Sur, SFO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 pm, June 20, 2013