We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vineyards fun for young people.

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Vineyards fun for young people.

Group of 22/23 yr olds planning a roadtrip from San Fran to Vegas and hoping to spend a few days in Monetery - big sur, san luis opispo.

Is there ant stand-out vineyards of interest that would be fun for young people.

Probably a stupid question but thought id ask anyway

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

Not a stupid question but I'm not sure what constitutes a vineyard that is fun for young people. And do you mean vineyard or winery/tasting room?

Have you seen the film 'Sideways'? There are a couple of wineries featured in that film that you could consider. It's a beautiful region and there are a couple of big, popular tasting rooms. Check out this map:

santabarbaraca.com/includes/…Sideways-Map.pdf

As I can't really be sure what you are looking for I will tell you my all time number one winery recommendation: Rancho Sisquoc.

I don't think I can improve on the review I wrote at the time of my visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g33051-d1067…

I will re-iterate, though, that it's a wonderful drive and you get a real sense of achievement when you finally find this winery.

Depending on when your trip is watch this space as we're spending some time in the Paso Robles area next month and we might uncover some gems.

Belfast, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

yeh, i guess the question was quite vague.

I have seen sideways and thats what kind of influenced me to want to spend a few days/nights in a wine region, have a bit of fun and visit winerys/tasting rooms.

Just worried that some might be too upmarket/stuffy for 22/23 yr olds.

Thanks for your help

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

Wineries all conform to a certain type. And none are banging house tunes and neon. If YOU don't think you'll enjoy the peace, serenity and grown-up nature then I suggest you don't go. Otherwise, you will be as welcome as anyone.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

I don't think there is a winery that would be more/less for a particular age group! They are not "stuffy" places. Remember the purpose of wine tasting is to learn about the different wines and to then know what you'd like to buy. The wineries are not places to go to drink a lot! You get sips of different wines and that's that. You don't stand around getting drunk.

Your question is not foolish. It just shows your inexperience in this area.

It is good to try new things when you are traveling!!

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

We were in the Carmel Valley wine country yesterday and really enjoyed our time at Georis. Chateau Julien is also very nice with a great patio for your wine tasting. We had a nice lunch at LoKal, a new restaurant that has just opened in the area.

Have fun! :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

This is the Big Sur forum. You might get more ideas if you choose a forum that covers a destination that actually has vineyards.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

Know any of them, Super? ;)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,269 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

There are wineries around Paso Robles which is on the 101 before you get to San Luis Obispo. You can take the scenic route 1 through Big Sur and into Cambria and then take route 46 east to Paso Robles where there are tons of wineries. From there you take the 101 to San Luis Obispo.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

Around where the OP plans to be there are wineries around Paso, as RiffM says. There are also some in Carmel Valley. Santa Ynez (Sideways territory) is further south near Santa Barbara.

http://www.pasowine.com/

http://montereywines.org/

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,141 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vineyards fun for young people.

Hehe. I was only playing with Super.