We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip 10 April

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Road trip 10 April

Hi

I'm starting my LA to SF roadtrip on Monday 9th of April. I'll be staying that evening in San Simeon but was anticipating on driving to Carmfl on the 10th. Do you think I'll be able to drive along Big Sur to Carmel? I don't mind if there is road works but I just want the road to be open!!!!

I'll be in LA from the 4-9 April. Which website is ideal to check out info re road closures/work??

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip 10 April

The california central coast DEstination Experts offer up to the minute road conditions at 10 dollars a call. But I am not giving out the phone number. LOL.

An alternate way which may be free if you have Internet

www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo Current highway conditions for all California highways, provided by Caltrans.

Edited: 2:34 pm, March 30, 2012
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip 10 April

You will just have to check that site and on a more serious note the DEs have done an admirable job of keeping this forum updated when they find out Amazing work Kibblesmom

Edited: 2:38 pm, March 30, 2012
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,894 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip 10 April

So basically, the road is currently open during the day, but closes at 8pm every night until 7am until the slide is cleared. Do be sure to keep updated with the above link, as the situation can change at any time. That includes possible additional slides and/or slip outs that could occur if we have more rain, etc.

And thank you, belomiser. Not really what I would call amazing work. I just happen to read my local paper on line once or twice a day and find these frustrating headlines. ;-)

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip 10 April

And I just go to http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roadscell.cgi. Although I like Belomiser's idea of charging $10 per call...

5. Re: Road trip 10 April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:30 am, April 04, 2013