We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite to Big Sur?

Kingston Ontario
Level Contributor
48 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite to Big Sur?

We will be leaving Groveland in the morning and travelling to the Coast. I expect from what I have read that it should take about 4 hours. But, what is the best route? I have a hotel in Monterey booked, but how far south can I go ( Big Sur?)... hubby doesn't want to drive more than about 6 hours that day...

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,497 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite to Big Sur?

The quickest route is Hwy 140 to Hwy 33 to Hwy 152 to the 101 freeway south to Hwy 156 west, which will merge with Hwy 1 south to Monterey. 4 hours is about right, give or take. Big Sur is south of Monterey and would add an additional 2 hours there and back from Monterey. Not to mention the amount of time you would be spending in Big Sur itself. I recommend getting settled into your accommodations and enjoying the Monterey Peninsula and save Big Sur for the next day. It deserves more than a rush visit.

2. Re: Yosemite to Big Sur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, October 08, 2009