We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

I tried to go to Big Sur Lodge yesterday, heading south on Hwy 1. Sadly, I ended up paralyzed with fear as we approached the Bixby Bridge, and sat crying before turning back north.

I have longed to spend a night or two under the stars at Big Sur for decades, and yet even wanting to see the Sur so much, I could not go on.

Is there an easier way to get to Big Sur Lodge than coming south on Hwy 1? Is it perhaps easier to go south somehow on a highway and come north?

Any advise would be appreciated, and I do feel like a very big sissy for sure.

Lomita, CA
Level Contributor
620 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

You can go south and drive back up. Take the 101 to the 46 to Hwy 1 and go north. That is the only alternate route.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

You could get to US 101 south to Paso Robles then take CA 46 West to Cambria, then CA 1 north to Big Sur. This is a big loop, but it can be done.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

You could go through King City to the Hunter-Leggett military preserve and then over the Nacimiento Road to Lucia and then a long way north to Big Sur. If the preserve is not closed for artillery practice and if the Nacimiento Road is not washed out. That's what they call in the song "47 miles of bad road". It's not even scenic until you hit the coast. Maybe ask someone else to drive your car over the bridge while you walk or cower in the back seat. The bridge has been there for, what?, 70 years and we haven't lost a tourist yet.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

You know, the few optional ways are much more rugged. I hate to say it, but IMO driving south of Hwy. #1 to the Bixby Bridge is a very gentle route comparatively. Assuming you're the one who's driving, the big problem also is that if you're going north on #1 you'll be on the side of the steep dropoff. I can only suggest that you be the passenger on the mountain side and DO NOT look toward the edge of any cliffs. If you can't do it this trip, when you return home, investigate phobia therapy which can very probably rid you of the fear of heights. I have read that hypnosis can be successful.

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

Thanks for your answers one and all. It looks like I will have to bite the bullet if I am ever to see the lovliness of the Sur. Perhaps I will give it a go in a few months. I can't imagine why I ended up sobbing so helplessly on the side of the road. It wasn't so much the bridge as the road ahead, which seemed to be way too close to the cliff to me. I actually envisioned and feared freezing up and not turning in time and going over the cliff. My daughter offered to drive, but by that time I was not even able to do this, though she has driven it in the dark before. Sigh...maybe it is a past life thing or something; I just don't know.

Ojai, California
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

That is exactly what I feel

past life issue surfacing. I have it too.

But I am healing the issue. I triggered it after moving to California from Chicago (no such thing as even a hilly road in Chicago, let alone a cliff-side road along the ocean or a mountain pass).

I continue to force myself to drive the roads that scare the carp out of me, or have my sweetie drive them while I yell at him (poor man).

I have done reiki on myself, which has helped a lot. I also have allowed myself to remember the life time(s) that the issue originates from.

I still have yet to do the Big Sur drive, but I have done the Hwy 1 drive from Jenner to Mendocino a couple of times, from what I hear that one is scarier. lol

All the best to you as you heal this issue.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

Hi happyyoga

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to get to Big Sur. Unfortunately, there is no other way into Big Sur except via Highway 1. The south bound route is much shorter than the northbound route, which has even more tight turns than the southbound route, so I would not recommend coming up from the south.

If it's any consolation, the highway does turn away from the cliff's edge not far south of Bixby Bridge as it turns inland toward the village of Big Sur. As a child, I was the worst back seat worrier and must have driven my parents crazy! How or when I grew out of it, I do not know, but Highway 1 is like a good old friend to me, even driving it in the rain in January with daylight fading toward the end of the southern end of the Big Sur stretch. I swore I would NEVER drive Highway 1 in the rain because of the rock slide potential and the dangers associated with it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole drive down the coast, rain and all.

I hope you find a way to make it into Big Sur. It really is a beautiful place.

All the best.

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

Thanks Enora. I am glad to hear that thinking it is a past life issue is not taken to be too twilight zone here. I am hoping to get up the nerve to do it next visit. Kudos to you on going for it.

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

Kibblesmom, you are in a slice of heaven there. I'll sure give it a go the next trip here. It is great that your old fear turned to joy so beautifully.

10. Re: Is there another way to get to Big Sur than Hwy 1?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 19, 2009