We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur conditions.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
36 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Big Sur conditions.

Coming into San Francisco in three weeks and I was going to drive down to Big Sur to do some hiking. How are the conditions from the fire from last year and is it worth the drive? As an alternative I could head north. Tks for any input on any hikes also. Bill.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,440 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur conditions.

Hi Bill

I believe the trails on the east side of the highway in Big Sur are still closed, but the trails at Andrew Molera State Park are open. You might also consider hiking at Point Lobos State Reserve just south of Carmel, as well as Jack's Peak or Garland Ranch in Monterey.

Is Big Sur worth the drive? You bet!! It's glorious, especially right now with our green hillsides and wildflowers in bloom. Highway 1 from just south of Carmel down through Big Sur is one of the most beautiful drives in California and is not to be missed.

Mentioned in this post
Andrew Molera State Park
Andrew Molera State Park
168 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
2. Re: Big Sur conditions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, October 21, 2009