We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stopover suggestions

Which Big Sur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
stopover suggestions

Sorry this is so similar to other posts but none quite answer my question!

As part of holiday in July I want to drive up via Big Sur from Huntington Beach to San Francisco.

My thoughts were that I should do the dull drive from HB to bottom of big sur on the Friday night - stay somewhere and then have the full day to drive up - stopping to walk around etc and then stay at the top end on the saturday night leaving a short-ish drive to SF next morning.

Does that make sense - and where should I book stopover hotels?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stopover suggestions

Huntington Beach to San Francisco in one day via Big Sur would make for one VERY long day. Breaking it up is ideal, especially if you're not familiar with our roads.

You can do the drive with a one night stop over, but two is better so as to get the most experience from California's coast.

I suggest your first night stop be either Pismo Beach or Cambria.

Pismo Beach is a classic beach town with a great walking beach and nice pier to walk out on over the water. If you would like an ocean view room or at least be near enough to walk down to the edge of your hotel property to take in the ocean views, here are a few choices:

Kon Tiki Inn

Cottage Inn

Best Western Shelter Cove

Pismo Lighthouse Suites

Sea Venture Resort

There's also the Mission Inn, Oxford Suites or Holiday Inn Express (Grover Beach)

Cambria, on the other hand, is a small coastal town nestled among pine trees up the sea. It's a quaint, charming town with lovely inns and excellent restaurants. Here are a few lodging options:

Sand Pebbles Inn

Moonstone Landing

Fog Catcher Inn

Pelican Cove Inn

Best Western Fireside Inn

Blue Whale Inn

White Water Inn

There's also the Cambria Pines Lodge, Olallieberry Inn and J. Patrick House.

While the distance between Cambria and Carmel may not seem that far, the section of highway between them sits several hundred feet above the ocean with hairpin turns, which will slow you down considerably. If you plan on exploring any of the Big Sur coast (hiking, dining, beaches, etc.), it could take you several hours to make it as far as Carmel.

I usually recommend overnighting on the Monterey Peninsula because it's such a beautiful area with so much to see/do. The Monterey Bay Aquarium, Pacific Grove's Asilomar Beach, Carmel's quaint shops and lovely beach are worth some time.

San Francisco is about 3 hours from Monterey via Highway 1. Slightly faster using alternate routes.

Here are some lodging choices for Monterey:

Monterey Beach Resort

Monterey Plaza Hotel

Monterey Bay Lodge

Intercontinental Clement

Spindrift Inn

Colton Inn

For Carmel:

La Playa

Colonial Terrace Inn

Tickle Pink (In the Carmel Highlands)

Cypress Inn

There are also some lovely B&B's in Pacific Grove (Between Carmel & Monterey):

Seven Gables Inn

Green Gables Inn

Old St Angela Inn

Gosby House Inn

Some of the above recommendations may be out of your price range. Let us know how much you would like to spend on accommodations and we'll offer other suggestions.

scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: stopover suggestions

Thanks very much.

Pismo Beach looks ideal for first night

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stopover suggestions

I hope you enjoy your visit here.

Let me know if you need restaurant recommendations and what kind of dining you're looking for. (Ocean views, seafood, Italian, etc.)

Leeds
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stopover suggestions

Hope you don't mind me jumping in but are staying in Monterey and Pismo Beach at the end of July and wondered if you could help me with restaurant suggestions? We are a family of four and enjoy seafood and Italian as well as wanting to sample local specialities, but need to keep to a reasonable budget. Hotels are already booked, in Monterey are at the Casa Munras and at the Mission Inn at Pismo Beach.

Thanks for any suggestions

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stopover suggestions

francevisitor

I sent a private message regarding your query.

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stopover suggestions

Hi, we spent the weekend in Shell Beach @ the Cliffs and had a great time. We enjoyed meals at Lido @ the Dolphin Bay Resort, Mirasol @ the Cliffs, Steamer's in Pismo Beach (oceanviews here) and the Cracked Crab in Pismo, a casual seafood venue with great food. I have reviews posted of these places.

You will love the Pismo area, take a walk out on the pier and try to get over to Shell Beach and Avila Beach and do a little exploring. www.centralcoast.com :)

Leeds
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stopover suggestions

Hi Kibblesmom and syrahgirl thanks for the reply. I'm still fairly new to this so am still trying to work out how to access my private message,but I hope to get there eventually!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stopover suggestions

Hi francevisitor

Go to the top of the TripAdvisor page where it says "Welcome,......" and click on "My TripAdvisor" to the right of that. Then click on "messages" to access my PM.

K-mom

9. Re: stopover suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 19, 2009