We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fransisco to Carlsbad

Scotland
7 posts
Save Topic
San Fransisco to Carlsbad

I'm looking for some advice for our trip. I plan to arrive in San fran around 1.30pm and after a quick drive over the Golden Gate Bridge, drive down to Santa Cruz or Monterey for an overnight stay. The next day we plan to do the Big Sur and then another stop but not sure where. Is this feasible and any advice on where we should stop? I don't mind doing a big drive on the last section to Carlsbad as I have already seen up to Malibu on a previous holiday to LA. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Malibu
Malibu
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

simba 8

Oh, wow, you are really showing your age.

Hippies died a long time ago. Now we have upper class fashionistas who show their cleavage on warm days and faculty members who initiated the genome project.

And, in case you did not notice, Santa Cruz did not start the Vietnam War and was only one of the many campuses who protested. How about Kent State?

Our first students, in 1965, lived in trailers while the campus was being built, were mainly from rich Southern California families, and the girls actually wore skirts.

The 'vampires' you speak of come from outside because of our beautiful weather and strut their stuff on Pacific Avenue with vermilion Mohawk haircuts, tattoos out the kazoo, piercings, ditto. And go home, if they have one, on weekdays.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

Hey Puter, you're the one who reminded me of the hippies in Santa Cruz when I mentioned the people sitting in trees in Berkeley.

We've got our share of old hippies here in Pacifica. They're the ones who couldn't afford to live in Marin.

And I remember seeing a documentary called "Lost Boys" about the vampires in Santa Cruz.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Berkeley
Berkeley
California
Pacifica
Pacifica
California
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

Puter is right that the 280 is far better than the 101 for the drive to Santa Cruz. I was stunned the first time I took it, being used to crummy views of malls and office parks on most east coast freeways.

When you're in Big Sur, this goList may give you some useful hints.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14592-Big_Sur_…

As for the stop before heading to Carlsbad, I suggest Cambria or Avila Beach. Both have really charming waterfronts. I don't think there's much different for the traveler to see south of Pismo Beach (which is right next to Avila), so you won't miss much driving directly to Carlsbad the next day. The drive from Avila to Carlsbad, taking the 101 to the 5 in LA, looks like about 5-6 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,978 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

simba 8

You are "funning" me.

"Lost Boys" was a movie, filmed in Santa Cruz, for the scenery.

A 'documentary'? Give me a break. Try a "B" movie.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Richmond, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,448 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

Oh no, I think simba8 is deadly serious. Why else would Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world, be so near to Santa Cruz? The locals of Gilroy must be farming garlic to ward off the vampires. :)

BarbieGal 8: I wouldn't go out of my way to see it unless you're into quirky local color, but there really is an annual "Gilroy Garlic Festival" every July, about 35 miles inland from Santa Cruz. They even have a "Miss Gilroy Garlic Queen" beauty pageant.

http://www.gilroygarlicfestival.com/

Mentioned in this post
Gilroy
Gilroy
California
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Essex
Level Contributor
152 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

We have just returned from LA having flown into SF and biked the bridge and driven down hwy1 to San Diego and flown home from LA. travelled approx 1000miles great time hwy1 not busy ,accomodation cheap easy to find ,we used rough guide and booked as we went along.stopped in pacific grove,visited monteray aquarium recommended cambria, buellton, santa barbara ,santa monica, 3 nights at La Jolla,marriott hotel and back to LA for 2 nights and home.weather good .food cheap, people friendly.recommend sat nav good for SD, went to first baseball game we have 2 kids 13 and 11,in SD ,visited hearst castle. went whale watching in santa barbara.Anything i can help you with ?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
17. Re: San Fransisco to Carlsbad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 25, 2009