We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur Lodge

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Big Sur Lodge

Who has recently stayed at the Big Sur Lodge:???

I am getting some very mixed reviews. However the funds are not available for Ventana (have stayed there once and wonderful) or Post Inn. WE are meeting friends for one night with dinner at Nepenthe, our favorite of favorites. Most things are tolerable for one night, but not if horrible. The website looks ok.

So I hope one of you has stayed overnight there recently. We will be there May 8, 2008. Thanks

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur Lodge

Glen Oaks seems to get better reviews for Big Sur. I had to laugh at some of the posters for Big Sur Lodge who expected to find themselves on the beach in a nice dig, but found themselves in a rustic cabin in the redwoods. If Big Sur is too rustic, Carmel is less than an hour away with lots of contemporary accommodations.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Sur Lodge

Thanks for the info: checking out Deetjens Big Sur Inn.

Will be in Carmel for a wedding all week-end, this is a quick overnight only. How bad is the Big Sur Lodge???

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Sur Lodge

kat

If you click on the Hotels & Accommodations sections in the box to the left of this forum, you can read the reviews of most of Big Sur's hotels/inns from actual guests who have stayed there. What I read about the Big Sur Lodge would probably keep me away. There appears to be three types of accommodations in Big Sur: VERY expensive, VERY rustic, or camping. The Big Sur River Inn "looks" like a nice place next to the river, but I can't tell you what their rooms are like. I only pass through Big Sur to get to Pacific Grove. Most of the cabins/inns I pass are very rustic in appearance. Don't look for the comforts if a Holiday Inn here, unless you're willing to shell out the $$$$. I suggested Glen Oaks because it has several favorable reviews.

las vegas
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Sur Lodge

I have stayed at the Big Sur Lodge several times and loved it. Not Ventana or Post Ranch Inn, but not their prices either. The decor is a bit plain vanilla, and on the rustic side, but the rooms are clean and spacious, and make a nice place to return after a day out and about in Big Sur. It's in a wonderful setting, right in the Park. Beautiful grounds, great hikes through the redwoods to waterfalls, ranger lectures in the evenings, etc. Also, it's away from the road, so it's quiet.

California
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Sur Lodge

We didn't stay there, but saw the rooms at Big Sur Lodge and thought they were fine. Nothing special, but that's probably where we'll stay next time.

Some places looked really scary -- "rustic" is too nice to describe them. Glen Oaks looked OK from the outside (if you like roadside motels) but does seem to get good reviews. Personally, I would not consider Deetjens.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,254 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Sur Lodge

Agree with kitty55 regarding Deetjens. This place looks like it time warped out of the 60's. But it could be the "hippest" place in the whole of Big Sur.

L.A.
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Sur Lodge

I can't understand why anyone is recommending Glen Oaks. We stayed there last weekend and were just plain angry to have spent nearly $200 on a roadside motel with traffic noise, no circulation, and quite a small room. It is NOISY! And though the room is stuffy- no circulation at all- you can't open the window because of the traffic noise. The "trendy" decorating in no way justifies the outrageous price for this room.

Minocqua, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Sur Lodge

Have you tried Ripplewood? We have stayed there three or four times and liked it. It is rustic but the cabins next to the river were very quiet and the setting is beautiful. Check the other reviews though. It's not everyones cup of tea.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Sur Lodge

I stayed at the Big Sur Lodge in the summer of 2004 for 2 nights, so my information might be a little out of date. I liked it just fine for the $170/night I spent; the room was clean and had been renovated pretty recently. I also liked the grounds, which seemed well maintained, and there was a beautiful view of a nearby mountain - no ocean view at this price point. The rooms are individual bungalows spaced fairly close together, so there's not much privacy if you're out on the patio. The place is very quiet at night, since it's far back from Hwy 1 in the middle of the forest.

As other posters have noted, there's not a lot of mid-range accomodation in Big Sur; it's either rustic/dumpy or five-star ultra-luxe. I've been fortunate enough to stay at the Post Ranch Inn several times since I visited the Big Sur Lodge, and would not be happy going back to the Lodge. Of course, you could stay a week at the Lodge for the price of one night at most Post Ranch rooms.

Here's a goList for Big Sur that you might find useful.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i14592-Big_Sur_…

10. Re: Big Sur Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 24, 2009