We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LA to San Francisco

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from LA to San Francisco

Hi! My husband and I will be driving with two teenagers from LA to San Francisco. We will take two days to get to SF (one night's stay). Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? We thought Carmel or Monterey, but was not sure. Also, where do we pick up the "Big Sur" and "17 Mile Drive"?

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Although Carmel/Monterey is a great place to stay, it may not be the best place to stop because it's only an additional few hours to SF. You might want to stop in Cambria or nearby to break up your trip more evenly. Do you think your teens would enjoy seeing Hearst Castle?

If you take Hwy 1 up the coast from LA, then you'll pass through Big Sur. From Big Sur, it's an hour to Monterey. The 17-Mile-Drive can be accessed off of Hwy 1 when you get to the Carmel area.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Thank you so much! I will look into Cambria. I found out today that my parents took the same trip up th coast 25 years ago. They stayed in Cambria! Is the Hearst Castle near Cambria?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,492 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Hearst Castle is about 4 or 5 miles north of Cambria.

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

My boyfriend and I just did this exact drive- San Fran to LA. We took 2 days (one night) as well. I would not stop in Carmel or Monterey beacuse it is way to close to San Fran. You will find yourself driving A LOT the second day if you stay in those places.

We stopped in San Luis Obispo because it was the half way point. It was a good place to stop, made each driving day nice. The only problem was that we got a late start our first morning so we arrived late which meant that many of the hotels were booked. So if you stay there, make sure you arrive at a decent time that evening (not past 10) or book the hotel in advance.

Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

I just returned from a 2 day trip from San Francisco down the Pacific Highway to Hearst Castle with my 2 kids and nephew, 18, 14, 9.

It was absolutely incredible. We stayed at the Treebones Resort which is 45 minutes north of Hearst Castle and a bit south of Big Sur but within that area. Can't say enough great things about Treebones, see if you can get a "yurt" there. We stayed one night but I had researched online and booked quite in advance.

Hearst Castle is a must see, stop at Kevah's cafe in Big Sur, a real treat, with a great view and gift shop we all loved.

There are many stops along the high way between Big Sur and heading south to Hearst castle.

I have incredible pictures and memories and it was one of the best drives/trips I've ever taken. The whole drive was 5 hours each way so the stops and the overnight at Treebones were very crucial with the kids/teens!

Port Charlotte...
Level Contributor
77 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

Glad you had a great time!

7. Re: Driving from LA to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 04, 2009