We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Picture Butte, AB
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

The health unit in our town is recommending that we take malaria pills before travelling to the Mayan Riviera. Is Malaria a serious health concern? There are no warnings posted on Canadian or US government websites. I've heard the side effects can be nasty and haven't heard for sure of any cases in tourists returning from vacation.

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

Malaria is not a problem and no, you do not want to take the malaria pills. This has been discussed many times and all you need to do is type in the word malaria in the search function to see all the posts. Have a great trip.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
219 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

I will recomend you to take antibiotics such as:

Cypro,

Ampesilling

And at the first symtome of stomage cranck take antibiotick with a big glass of Lemon and setzert water.

Please pardon my writing

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,021 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

Be careful before resorting to Cipro. Many travel issues are self-inflicted (too much drinking, sun, etc) so be sensible.

Malaria was not even a factor in that area based upon a discussion I had last week for travel vaccinations.

Ron

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

I agree, CP. Cipro is not somthing you should use to self medicate.

As far as Malaria, no. As far as Dengue, many cases but nothing you can do to prevent it--other than avoid mosquitos.

5. Re: Malaria in the Mayan Riviera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 30, 2009