We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Security Risk" review of SERC posted on 3/11/05

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Level Contributor
831 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
"Security Risk" review of SERC posted on 3/11/05

I think this guests experiance may be a reminder for us all when traveling anywhere, not just at SERC. The trip review is copied at the bottom of this post.

1. Put your valuables in the safe provided for your use.

2. Protect your key cards and never leave them with anything that shows your room number.

3. Lock anything of value that won't fit in your safe, in a suitcase.

I'm do not understand the rating this customer gave for SERC. While I can certainly feel for this couple, having a $500.00 MP3 player stolen from there room, I don't understand how you can base your whole stay of 8 days, on one dishonest employee. I personally would blame myself, if I did not use the safe provided in my room, for items of high value. Futhermore, the management could not do much based on the room key card records, since the extra room key (the guest is responsible for), was left out in the room, also not in the safe. Management would have to question everyone that had entered the room, and I don't know how anything would come of that. It would most certainly offend the honest employees that had been in it.

Again, I am sorry this happened to this couple, and thank them for their review. I have taken this review as a reminder about room security in all hotels/resorts, and not a review of just SERC, as this can and does happen everywhere on occasion.

User rating: 2 of 5

Puerto Morelos: Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun: "Security risk"

March 11, 2005: A TripAdvisor Member, new Jersey

My wife and I recently spent 8 days at the Secrets Excellence Riviera Cancun celebrating our honeymoon 2-24-05 thru 3-3-05. The 2nd evening a staff member entered our room #2003, between 8:30 PM and 11:00 PM with a secondary room key that was stolen from atop the mini bar shelf. Once inside the individual removed a dell mp-3 player, charger and case. Valued at $500.00 When management and security responded they read the key card history via a card readed and stated the "Investigation was closed" , I explained a staff member had stolen my secondary key card from within the room and re-entered during our dinner. I could not believe the treatment I had received from managemet. Being a Detective within the State of NJ, I attempted to instruct the security personell to question the previous employees that entered the room from the past day (6 VIA THE READER). Since we had just arrived. The rest of the Honeymoon was ruined due to the unprofessional staff and lack of communication from management. We did not even receive an apology. You can be sure I will never stay within any of THE PREFERRED hotels again. I also was advised that 4 other couples had items stolen from within their rooms the same week.

NJ
5 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: "Security Risk" review of SERC posted on 3/11/05

I was at secrets at this same time 2/24-2/28 and one of the couples we were with had their wedding ring stolen from their room. There were a number of employees in and out of their room because they had a water leak. They too also did not receive good treatment from the staff. The incident report was in Spanish and was up to us to translate. Fortunately we were travelling with someone who spoke fluent Spanish. Once translatted it did not even match up with what our friends told management. It truly did put a damper on their vacation and we were told by other guests not to leave anything laying around anywhere. But other than this mishap, all 24 of us who stayed at this resort had a great time and would recommend to others. Something like this could have happened anywhere.