We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

Did anyone else see the "Hunter or Hunted" on the National Geographic chanel last night?

They were showing when dolphins attack people. One of the examples was cancun when a dophin attacked a woman and a little boy in the Dolphin aventure tank. They also visited Brazil where a dolphin killed a man and Florida, 50 Stitches! Gave some great points on what type of dolphine adventures are good and bad and it sounds like some of them in the Cancun area were not the greatest.

Anyone else have any comments, or things to share?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Canada
Level Contributor
884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

off topic, I sent you some pics Dakota Run!! :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

Did it mention Xcaret as it is meant to be world renowned as is only down the road from EDR - they have the most successful breading programme.

The one which go about harming people are most likely escapees from the US Navy which have been trained to lay mines and can kill divers

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,535 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

Yes, I saw most of it. I guess the key point is they are, even when trained, still wild animals. They do have teeth for a reason.

FYI - That mother in Florida holding a todler while both of them are in the water (with the todler feeding the wild dolphin by hand) should be ... no I won't say it.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Sioux Falls, SD
Level Contributor
689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

Bob is correct, they are wild animals. please use caution if you plan to swim with the dolphins.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

Hi

A little something for us humans to think about which I uplifted from the web having watch Planet Earth on Sunday evening:

"We must not allow just one generation of humanity to needlessly eradicate 400 million years of evolution."

And for those still transfixed by memories of Jaws, WildAid has some reassurance: while we kill more than 100 million sharks annually, it says, the sharks themselves kill 12 people in an average year.

"The odds of being killed by a shark are far exceeded by the chance of being killed by lightning, bee stings, or in a plane crash."

Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

I was attacked by 3 male dolphins while participating in a swim with the dolphins program at Xcaret park in Mexico.

It was a horrifying experience. I will try to talk anyone who will listen out of swimming with the dolphins. They are wild animals and even though they are trained and attacked are supposedly rare, the risk of serious injury or death is not worth it.

I am lucky that I walked away alive. Unfortunately for me and my family, we were out nearly 1,000USD for the experience of being attacked by a wild animal.

I do not know what the process is like in the US, but in Mexico, no waivers were signed and there is no possible way to take legal action. So all I can hope to do now is spread the word and make people aware of the danger that the park (at least the one I was at) does not make one aware of. Not to say that I have no responsibiltiy for putting myself in the situation, but they (the parks) sure do make you feel like you are going to be safe and taken care of. We were reassured several times that dolphins are not aggressive unless provoked (I certainly did NOT provoke them).

DO NOT SWIM WITH DOLPHINS!!! Tell everyone you know. Would you participate in a pet and play with the lions? How about swim with the hippos? Hunt the crocodiles? Wild animals are wild animals no matter how trained they are, no matter how long they are kept in captivity. You can train an animal, but you cannot take the wild instincts out of them.

Again, I was lucky that we were in a small pool (unlike the HUGE pool we were in just prior to the attack), that I am young and athletic and was able to get myself to safety (since the trainers did nothing to help me). But had I been in the larger tank, or had I been a small child or elderly person, I surely could have been killed.

DON'T DO IT!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,535 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your experience - we have been to this park and were very impressed by the way they looked after and cared for the dolphins.

What did ther guys at Excaret say about it as they are meant to be world leaders in breeding dolphins and looking after them?

Could they explain what had happened and why?

Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

They said it was mating season. The "activity" we were participating in when this happened was the part where the dolphin puts its nose up to your cheek and gives you a kiss and they take a picture you can buy for 25USD. Little did I know I was going to get attacked instead of kissed. The first three people went with no problem and then when it was my turn, the dolphin we were with (the alpha male?!?!) swam away and did not want to work. He would not respond to his trainers whistles, commands or even fish. SO....they left him in there and brought in two other males and then proceeded to tell me it was safe to take my turn. What was I thinking?

I swam out into the pool and sat there waiting for the dolphin to come give me a kiss and before I knew it they were all three ramming me with their noses, throwing me out of the water. This is how they kill sharks - don't ask how I was lucky enough not to be killed myself.

But like I said in my first post -- I am not stupid, I knew I was going to interact with wild animals so I cannot really "blame" anyone. However I do feel like these parks either mislead people about their supposed safety or do not even make them aware that an attack IS possible....regardless of how rare it may or may not be. Any smart person knows that wild animals are wild animals, but when there is a program where you are made to feel safe....I don't know. I would certainly have thought twice about it if they included stories about dolphins attacking humans in their little orientation video and lecture. But they want $$$$$ and they aren't going to get it if they start by telling people that they could be attacked and possibly killed (again, even though people (SHOULD) know that it is possible.

Sorry to rant so much about this....I have remained pretty silent about the whole thing for a year and I saw a story on the news last week about a killer whale attacking his trainer during a show at Sea World and it has brought all this back again.

I just want people to know. As I said in my first post, you wouldn't participate in a pet and play with the lion NOR would the trainers/handlers/park/zoo encourage you to.

Just because dolphins have a perma-smile and Flipper was friends with a boy does not mean that they are not wild animals capable of killing.

Colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

I found this story almost identical to mine - but unlike this woman, I will try to talk people out of swimming with the dolphins.

tursiops.org/modules.php…

I do not hate dolphins or blame them for attacks....clearly wild animals should remain in the wild.

10. Re: When Dolphins Attack at the Adventure places.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:08 pm, December 07, 2006