We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
139 reviews
Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

Considering this resort over Great Parnassus due to a recommendation from a coworker. Can any add pros or cons of this resort from their past experience or comparison of it to GP?

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
21. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

We visited El Cid Jan. 2010 and Great Parnassus March 2013 and would recommend EC over GP. I didn't write a review for either, sorry. GP is shoe-horned into the property and they don't have any open spaces and landscaping that typical resorts have. Also, GP is built like an Embassy Suites, a big open atrium inside. And it can get crowded around the pool. EC also has many other room category besides the basic Junior Suite: 1 bedroom, 2 bed and 3 bedroom. We stayed in a 2 bedroom during our first visit, it was enormous. We have 5 people in our party which puts us into a different room category.

GP has it's positives, but if the cost is similar, EC wins in my book. I'll answer specific questions if you like.

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
22. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

Not sure about El Cid's policy regarding the purchase of the Platinum but in general you can get upgrades on site, and typically it is cheaper. I've seen people negotiate that rate also.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
21 reviews
23. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

This was in 2011. But we had a 5AM shuttle so we ordered room service the night before for 430 AM. It was right on time.

I am a heinous cheapskate, so I would not order Platinum. Maybe for the Wifi?

The bike tour was great!

Lots of activities for kids. You can see a few fish in the water from their beach.

The people that work there are excellent. How can I tell? They did not laugh at me when I spoke Spanish to them.

The lights and the power went out for a few minutes at night.

If you are a cheapskate like me, and are in a building toward the back, you can hear the egrets in the swamp early in the morning. That's not a complaint, it was kind of neat, like camping.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
139 reviews
24. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

Thanks everyone, I actually found an AMAZING deal on EC and it is cheaper than GP. There are 5 of us as well, so that always seems to up the price.

Ione, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
25. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

Hi, for the bike tour, do they have the option of having toddler seats attached to adult bikes for kids who can not ride themselves? I have a 2 year old daughter.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
21 reviews
26. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

I did not see any bike seats for kids. But my kids are too big for them so I did not ask about them.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
139 reviews
27. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

I asked about the bike seat for my younger daughter and they did not have any options.

Ione, California
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
28. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

Thank you for checking on the child seat on the bike.

29. Re: Pros and cons of Hotel El Marino Cid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 11, 2015