We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling with turtles

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
sudbury
Level Contributor
101 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling with turtles

Hi, we are planning a trip to Akumal to snorkel with the turtles and what opinions on whether to do it from shore or go out on the boat snorkel tour? Do you get to see more on the boat tour? Is the water clearer on the boat tour? any opinions are appreciated. Thanks Shawn

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling with turtles

I went on a tour and we just walked out from the beach. The tour is good because the guide is probably familiar with turtle hot spots. Although you could probably look for a group of people swim over towards them and see the turtle.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling with turtles

Are there turtles to see while snorkelling in Puerto Morelos? I have been to Akumel and agree you can just walk in and go snorkel.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling with turtles

Turtles are concentrated in Akumal so you can easily see them. Most are green turtles and eat the tender sea grass

Although a guide (get one from the local Akumal Dive shops) can show you much more for fish and coral

I have seen a few in Pomo but from the boat only

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
806 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling with turtles

Saw a couple turtles a few years ago while snorkeling from the beach near Ojo de Agua in Puerto Morelos. Saw a lot of them a couple of weeks ago at Akumal beach.

Kenai
Level Contributor
688 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling with turtles

We saw turtles from our boat tour in puerto Morelos and we also snorkel end off the beach in akumal and saw some. I don't think you'll see turtles from the beach in PM.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
806 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling with turtles

yes we did.

Defiance Ohio
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling with turtles

Have been to Akumel and have done both….my family loves to go just from shore so that those to like to snorkel longer can. The dive shop is very helpful and has good masks and snorkels to purchase for a good price. There is also a turtle "museum" if you will that you can walk and read about. North of the bay is my favorite restaurant, La Beuna Vita..."the good life"

Laconia, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling with turtles

I saw a small turtle last week while snorkeling off the beach in PM. They are not common, but they are there.

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling with turtles

Take a cab or drive to lo ha or Akumal dive shop. Walk into the water and look for patches of Sea grass, thats what the turtles eat. You will see tons of turtles! What an awesome experience

10. Re: snorkeling with turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 10, 2015