We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

My wife and I are traveling in March with our 6 yr old daughter to Cancun, MX.

Daughter's passport is valid for period of travel, but will expire in May. We have heard conflicting reports re passport validity, some claiming that either Mexico (host) or USA (home country), or even the airline (AirTran) may have requirements that passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months.

Anyone have any experience/clarification?

Thx

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

Mexico does not require the 6 month rule, but some airlines will enforce it. I always renew mine so that their is 6 months validity ( we go 3 times a year) just to be safe. I have had clients denied from Canada for not having it, so I see no big deal in renewing a little early to be safe. Not a problem.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

Have you called your airline? I would.

Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
630 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

When we were checking in our bags at our airport, the counter clerk told us she did not think she could honour my husbands passport that was expiring in just less than six months. She went and spoke to another agent who told her it was ok but we sweated a bit for those few minutes. I would get it renewed right now, better safe than sorry or as suggested, speak to someone with your airline....good luck

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

Debrah, what was the airline name?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

We've had issues with this with WestJet and Air Transat.

Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
630 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

Yes it was Westjet, but everything was fine once she checked with the senior agent.

Listowel, Ontario...
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

To be safe I would renew my passport early. If not, I would go to the airline website and see their requirements. We had a few in our party this year that did not have 6 months on their passports and we travelled with westjet. The westjet website said that you needed to check the country's requirements. I printed this page as well as the Mexico site which required your passport valid only for the trips duration. I never had to produce the papers, but was prepared if the check in counter was going to pose a problem. Hard to argue with your own website.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

I have had clients denied with Westjte in Calgary. You can't argue if they say no at check as they can deny you for any reason. I just wouldn't chance it and it doesn't matter how many papers you print out. To be fair, it was only once with WestJet in 18 years, but I wouldn't want to be that one. It cost them a lot of money and there is no recourse. This is why I always advise my clients to go by the six month validity.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

Have anyone had any problems with the passports recently? There were so many requests from the Canadian travelers that Mexican consulate in Canada recently specifically posted in bold red letters the clarification - some check in agents might be not aware of it

It can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/cfwwr52

I copy in case the link does not work:

"The Embassy of Mexico in Canada informs the public that Canadian nationals and permanent residents of Canada still do not require a visa to enter Mexico, with the exception of Canadian citizens carrying diplomatic or official passports.

Canadian nationals must present a valid passport to prove their nationality. Mexican authorities do not require a minimum period of validity of passports; nevertheless, this document must be valid at the time of entry and during the period you wish to be in Mexico.

Permanent residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and one of the following documents: valid Passport or Refugee Travel Document.

All foreign visitors, regardless of nationality, travelling to Mexico for tourism or business reasons or in transit to another destination, are exempt from presenting a Mexican visa as long as they have a valid visa issued by the government of the United States."

We traveled to Mexico with the passports expiring in 1-7 months during the last year with no problems (3 people in the family) with the Sunwings and AirTransat. My son had a scare when his e-tickets from escapes arrived with the information attached that his passport has to have 6 months validity - he called to Sunwings next morning and was assured that they comply with the above posted requirements.

But I have to say that I know of a case when Alaska airline denied a boarding to a person from Canada to Mexico (but I can not be sure of a reason as this is not someone I know personally but a friend of a friend). May be it would not happen now after the clarification by the Mexican authorities.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Validity requirements traveling to/from Cancun, MX

It really doesn't matter what the government says as airlines can and do set their own policies. I just wouldn't chance it and I never understand what the big deal is by renewing 6 months early?