We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in puerto morelos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
387 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling in puerto morelos

The reefs do not look that far from the pier or beach (it has been three years since I have been there) but the need to pay 25 USD for a boat ride seems unnecessary for a strong swlmmer with fins. I swim to the reef in Akumal regularly and other reefs in the Yucatan. will be there in June and have never snorkled in PM but would like too any suggestions?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

you can not. The reef is a protected marine park in this area. the only way is to snorkel the reef is to pay the fee.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

There is a roped off area in front of the Ojo de Agua 3 story orange apartment building....lots of coral, fish, barracouda, and sometimes rays and turtles, and an ojo on the bottom marked by a flat white buoy. Easy to snorkel on your own and lots to see inside the rope and round buoys. Outside of that area, the dive boats and fishing boats come and go.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
387 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

so what happens if you walk into the water on the beach there in PM. are there people not allowing entrance to the water and what is diferent about needing a boat to go there. I just don't understand?

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

The first few hundred feet offshore are not regulated other than obvious things like polluting, littering or improper fishing. Signs on the beach make it clear in Spanish and by pictures what is not allowed, and it's similar to public beaches in the US. To swim farther out in the coral areas, a fee (20 pesos ?) is supposed to be paid and a wristband issued for that day, with the money going toward reef preservation, etc. Also a life preserver should be worn in the coral areas.

Edited: 9:25 pm, February 21, 2014
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

The PM reefs are MUCH further than Akumal

And much more boat traffic out in the open PM waters

Kenai
Level Contributor
674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

We were at the beach yesterday. My husband said the same thing..."I could swim that no problem". There are ropes that I'm sure you could get around but there is a lot of boat traffic and we were told someone was hit by a boat and killed a few years ago. I don't know that to be a fact. It's frowned upon for sure.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

The reef may be a little further than Akumal and there might be more boat traffic but the reason it is frowned upon is that it is illegal.

Kenai
Level Contributor
674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

There is a report of a man being killed again today attempting to snorkel out to the reef. I have no official report, hopefully it was not the original poster. The man was hit by a boat...very sad. Please do not attempt to snorkel out to the reef from the beach...there is a lot of boat traffic and it's difficult to see a swimmer in the water.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,841 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

It is not only dangerous to attempt a swim to the reef, it is also ILLEGAL for that very reason.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
395 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling in puerto morelos

20 pesos? I would pay just pay the $1.50 USD! Wow!