We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a private guide/taxi

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a private guide/taxi

I am looking for first hand recommendations for hiring a private taxi to take our family of 4 out for the day from El Cid to Tulum and Coba ruins, possibly stop at a beach and go to a cenote. We don't want a pre-planned package were they make you stop at undiscussed places where you are pressured into buying local souvenirs and then make you feel rushed if you see somewhere and ask them to stop. We want a friendly driver who knows a lot about the history and is willing to adjust the plan and maybe make suggestions on route. How much should we expect to pay for this service?

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

When we wanted to go to Playa Del Carmen for several hours last year we just called for a taxi at the resort (El Cid). I can't remember his name now, but the guy we got spoke very good English. He stuck around for several hours in Playa, then gave us a ride back, all for the price of the taxi ride there and back, which was by no means unreasonable (I'm thinking it was $40 total for the 4 of us).

I am sure any of them would be willing to negotiate a price for an all day excursion like you mentioned rather than sit around waiting and hoping for a fare at the taxi stand. The only questionable aspect would be if they speak good English unless of course you are fluent in Spanish. Although you may be able to have the person calling for a taxi at El Cid request a driver with good English.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

Just to clarify, the posted taxi rates (El Cid or anywhere in the PM area to Playa del Carmen) is 400 pesos each way (800 round trip) for a sedan, which can hold up to 4 passengers if no one is too large.

Lethbridge Alberta
Level Contributor
569 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

Try Canada Transfers

Puerto Morelos
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

Hire yourself a decent local tour guide like Eric of Ecab Tours, max 6 in a group, he is very knowledgeable about the area and does very interesting tours, will not steer you into any horrid food or souvenir places and will give you so MUCH information it will really be worth it. (One way taxi to Tulum is 800 pesos)

best

cat

thelittlemexicancookingschool

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

The taxi drivers are ALL TOO HAPPY to get a gig for the whole day...in fact they love it!!! The taxi drivers have to rent their taxi for the day which costs them so much money and there are a lot of taxi drivers in the area so they want to make as much as they can each day. You could ask at El Cid which taxi driver spoke English better. For them to get a gig where they can drive you to Tulum...then rest in their car for two hours...then drive you somewhere else and rest while you are touring around at the next spot is great for them. It beats husting back and forth to the hotel from Playa Del Carmen. I got a taxi driver from the resort I was staying at (Iberostar Lindo) which is a little further south than El Cid..but in relative proximity and the Taxi driver charged me $85 US to drive me to Akumal and back...and he hung around for 3 hours waiting for me. I had always wanted to stop at a little Cenote on the way down to Akumal so I did on this trip as it was so convenient having the cab driver. If you have small kids it wouldn't be that cramped in a regular size taxi..if older kids it might be a little cramped in the back seat with 3 adult size people then you might want to get a larger vehicle such as one with Canada Transfers which you could pre-arrange. I used Canada Transfers on a recent trip to transfer me from the airport to the hotel and they were excellent!!!! One thing to consider if you pre-arranged transportation you are stuck with the weather that day which is not so great if you have had rainy/cloudy weather and then all of a sudden the day you have planned for your excursion happens to be a beautiful sunny day or someone in your party is sick that day. You can always check the weather for the next day the night before and arrange for a taxi the night before or for that matter you could even arrange for Canada Transfers the day before...just phone them from your resort. I would guestimate that a day charge for a regular size taxi to take you to Tulum and Coba and devote 6 or 7 hours to you would be approximately $150...it really is a much better deal than going on an excursion as then you would pay at least $100 per person. Your own private transportation is the way to do it for sure.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

Thank-you all for your suggestions. Does anyone have a contact number for a cab or private guide they have used that they would recommend? I am considering Canada Transfer as well but their online chat kept closing on me so I will try to connect with them again today. We are all small people so a regular cab would do just fine. I want to have a few options and an idea of how much it will be before going and then book once I am there and get the lay of the land. If we could actually find a taxi willing to drive us for under $200 I would probably go with that. We want to save some of our money for the Zoo and visiting Puerto Morelos a couple of times

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

Oh Cat I skipped your post. I will look into Ecab Tours as well.

8. Re: Hiring a private guide/taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 23, 2015