We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
dorset
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

I have to tear myself away from Mexico, having been 5 times now.

I loved Dreams Riviera Resort & Spa, and am now considering Dreams Palm Beach in the DR.

Would love peoples opinions who have been to both countries and why i would/wouldn't love the DR as much as i do Mexico.

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

I had the same train of thought this year... I love the beach in Negril and DR is cheap. However, while that may not be the case for you, the flights are way more inconvenient for me. Punta Cana and Puerto Plata don't look like anything I'd care to see. One of them (don't recall which one) wasn't even a town per se... some little conglomeration of businesses... While the 7-mile beach in Negril is outstanding, being constantly bugged all day long, even when you try to nap, is just not my idea of a pleasant beach experience, in addition to the fact that Jamaica is also quite dangerous and not particularly picturesque outside of the resorts. So, basically, I'd be stuck for the most part in an AI, just so I can say I've been somewhere else. I also find the Mexican resorts superior-looking (haven't been to DR, but researched). It's just not worth it to me...

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
409 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

We have been to several resorts in Cancun area and Punta Cana area and I would give a slight nod to Mexico for quality of food and more opportunities for shopping and sight seeing. Quality of service for us has been very good in both countries, with perhaps the lead going to Punta Cana. Beach wise Punta Cana wins hands down over Cancun/ Myan Riviera. Both areas seem to be developing and building new resorts however you do get a bit better price in Punta Cana for similar hotels, (at least from Canada) It is difficult to compare as we all have different expectations but I don't think you will be dissapointed going to Punta Cana

dorset
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

I agree the Mexican resorts are mainly superior, but the world is a big place, and i cant justify keep returning to the same country, especially when its long haul and a substantial amount of money.

I want a taste of the true caribbean which i do not consider Mexico to be.

There are a couple of resorts i like the look of in Jamaica one out of my budget the other in my budget but brand new and not really want i am looking for.

I love the Dreams brand and there are several in the DM. Narrowed it down to Dreams Palm Beach for its price and date availabiity.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

flynfan, i have read quite a few posts in the past on the Cancun forum, people asking for comparisons between Mex, Jam, and the DR and the general consensus seems to be that the food in Mexico is better than both and like you say, lots more to do.

We are going for New Year and not looking to do much at all other than celebrate NYE, so getting off resort is not something we are bothered about doing. I want the best i can get for my money, so whilst i am a little nervous about going somewhere i have never been before and it having a lot to live up to compared to Mexico, thought if i stuck with a brand that i know and love it would help!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,163 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

"however you do get a bit better price in Punta Cana for similar hotels, (at least from Canada) "

I think that may depend upon where you're flying from. I checked out flights and packages from Calgary to the DR and they appear to be more expensive than Cancun/Riviera Maya.

Quite freaky that you should post this question Lola as I was contemplating exact same choices myself. I guess great minds really do think alike!

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

*I agree the Mexican resorts are mainly superior, but the world is a big place, and i cant justify keep returning to the same country, especially when its long haul and a substantial amount of money.*

Oh, I didn't notice your location. The majority of people on this forum are from the US and we just go to our backyard, so to speak. :-) I also live very close to the border and to me going to Mexico doesn't even count as going abroad. You should probably try another place. I'd love to go to Europe instead, but it's quite expensive to do it on a regular basis.

manitoba
Level Contributor
301 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

We'be been to Punta Cana a couple of times as well as the Playacar area a couple of times. They are both beautiful places to visit no doubt. With regard to service, food and number of off site activities, I would vote for Mexico.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
666 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

Punta Cana and Puerto Plata are on the Atlantic side of the Dominican, so you won't get the nice calm Caribbean water. Have a look at La Romana. It is on the south Caribbean side of the Dominican. The top 2 hotels are Dreams La Romana and Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. They both are only 5-10 minutes from the town of Bayahibe. There is also the Catalonia Gran Dominicus. I would steer away from the Gran Bahia Principe as the water is murky there because of the run off from a river close to the resort. Check out the Bayahibe forums on here. We stayed at Sandals Montego Bay about 10 years ago but took a tour to Negril and have to agree with MP85747 that it isn't safe to travel outside of your resort without an organized tour

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

*Punta Cana and Puerto Plata are on the Atlantic side of the Dominican, so you won't get the nice calm Caribbean water.*

This is great to know! Thank you very much. DR is out for me then for even more reasons. I would've been very disappointed had I not done my research on Cancun, too. I'd never stay on the long side of the 7.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone been to both Mexico and The Dominican......

Hi Lola. The Dominican Republic is very very nice. I travelled there in November with my Mom and I was also there 11 years ago, to Punta Cana. I too am a Mexico fan but it was a nice change to go to the DR. ( My mom loves it there) Beautiful beaches, lovely pools, great weather, good food, wonderful attentive friendly people. We stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Ambar. ( See my review) My daughter stayed at the Dreams Palm Beach for a wedding last May and loved it and she is a Jamaica fan. I tried not to compare everything to Mexico while I was there but couldn't help it. If anything I would say that the food and drinks are better in Mexico but that is subjective. It was a nice change and I am sure you would love it.

Edited: 9:03 pm, January 10, 2014