We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

My wife and I have stayed at SSS three times and absolutely love it. Last year we visited PM for a day and are considering staying in a local hotel there rather than going the AI route. We certainly would appreciate any suggestions and advice anyone may have on what they prefer. We have no idea what to look for or budget when planning a non AI trip. We typically go for 1 week in February or March.

Bemidji,MN
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

We stopped going AI several years ago & now only go condo. We enjoy the freedom of being able to either go out to experience all the great places to eat/drink or just hang at the condo & cook some wonderful fresh fish or whatever we like. Also with a condo you get to enjoy having more space than typical AI rooms. Another benefit we have enjoyed is the pools at the places we have stayed at are never crowded nor are we doing the early AM catch a lounge chair deal. We have rented both thru VRBO or we have used booking agencies like Loco Gringo. Not sure we will ever go back to an A.I. or not.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

Love the idea of not doing the AI route. Mexico is the only place we travel that we do anything like that. I agree with all the above mentioned comments but I would like to hear more detailed info about your budget for lodging as well as your food and drink

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
503 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

I always pre-book where I stay ahead of time. This way there are no surprises in costs for accommodations. I usually budget $100 a night or less at hotels. $1000 a week or less at condos in the Yucatan. Two years ago, my husband and I stayed in PM it cost approximately $75 a night at Posada del Moro for 2 nights at the beginning of our trip and $1000 for a week at Abbby del Sol for a condo at the end of our stay. We stayed at Posada Luna del Sol for $75 in Tulum. The lovely Luz in Yucatan only cost $75 a night where we stayed there for for a week..

I usually make breakfast and either lunch or dinner at our accommodations. Many of the posadas provide a good breakfast. The Posada Luna del Sur's was healthy and delicious. The Luz had a communal kitchen

where I could make meals & our mini suite had a decent sized fridge & a mini kitchen. I bought food, beverages etc. for happy hour to be consumed on the balcony or in the gardens of the places we stayed.

I do not make a budget for food. We have to eat at home & it is not a lot more expensive to eat when we travel.

We never rent a car in the Yucatan. We travel via ADO bus and local taxis. It is very inexpensive and efficient

We tend to do self guided tours. It is a lot cheaper to do so & we don't waste a lot of time with the pick up & drop off process that tours have..At the ruins, we booked a local guide to enrich the experience.

We are currently in the Yucatan during the holiday season which we would normally avoid because accommodations often double in cost. But, we are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with our children. We are staying in a large penthouse condo in PM for 2 weeks. It is costing us our total budget for accommodation for a month that we paid last time. We have some nice perks like a washer & dryer. So, I don't have to send our clothing out to be laundered.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

Well, that's the beauty of a town area: all foods, all budgets. Sometimes we just pick up a pasrty, piece of fruit for breakfast on the beach. That is maybe $1-2pp. Sometimes we eat bk out for around $5pp. Lunch: maybe a sandwich (torta) from a cart or family restaurant frequented by locals (of any country!-Mexican, ex-pats,). Usually a little more for dinner-what ever we feel ike having except for our "splurge" dinner-we might spend $10-15.

We buy a case of water, ends up being pennies a bottle opposed to $1 at shops, and a bottle of spirits for the room.$10 -15 for decent stuff.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

Thank you all very much for the information and advice!

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

We have stayed in AIs a lot in the past. For last 6 years, condo style. We have often told people that you can stay a month for the price of 1 week in a nice AI. We enjoy the variety of restaurants and activities. To get the place we want for February, we book and pay 1/2 for following year while we are there. Looking forward to this Feb. Wind chill here for Monday forecast is -40 to -50. Any thing in Puerto Morelos would be better.

Taunton...
Level Contributor
871 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

Pomo is the place to go when looking for non AI options, we did this a few years back staying at Casita Blanca and now are returning this summer for our 3rd time and renting a house for the week and actually bringing some friends down with us. We loved it, ours kids (9/11/13) loved it. We found that we didnt necessarily need to strap on the feedbags and drink too much to have a good tiime down there...we found that going to the different local restaurants around the square and doing some breakfast/lunch at our rental was the way to go... if I can help in any way, let me know, I've done a few more detailed reviews of our trips to Pomo. Best of luck!

18. Re: Considering Not Going AI...Need Adivce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 05, 2015