We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Everyone has been taking about the poor condition of the access road to these hotels in recent reviews. I just found this video that looks like it may have been made by a local driver for anyone who wants to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6y3WFRKmyE

As we all know sometimes people get overly upset about little things that go wrong on their vacations (I include myself!). I thought maybe the claims were a little exaggerated, But this does look pretty bad!

Maybe someone who is at one of these resorts "live" can comment on if this is still the condition, or if at least some of the holes have been filled in with gravel.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

We were there late Sept., and the road was bad then, but I have read it's even worse now. Gravel is not going to fix the issue. It needs a complete overhaul. It runs through a swamp area so both sides of that road will always have standing water and when it rains that water level will rise and overflow onto the road and wash away the gravel they put down. The resorts don't want to chip in and fix the road, they are waiting for the federal governement to do it. The federal government will be in no hurry because that is not a main road. It is for the benefit of those resorts so I don't see why they won't co operate and get it done.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Ah, I see what you mean, there is no barrier to contain the gravel. We were there three years ago and I don't remember the road being an issue at all on that trip, so clearly it deteriorates very quickly. If it went from the way I remember it to that in just a couple of years, then I can't even imagine what it will be like in a few months if nothing is done. What a shame.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Actually the road ahs gotten worse since that video was posted. We have had torrential downpours that have kept the roads flooded for days now. Finally sunshine this morning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

I leave tomorrow and I am staying at Ocean Coral. I was worried about the roads as well. I will try to keep you guys posted.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Frank, is Calle Jose Maria Morelos in similar condition, or is it just this one access road? We will be traveling from ERC into the PM Colonia , is it worth it to ask the taxi to drive along the coast into PM and cross the highway there instead of taking the resort access road up to 307?

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Its very terrible road, cars towed from it every day ... so many hotels there, they could share expense and to fix it !!

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,480 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Wow! We were there in April, and I thought it was bad then, and PM Frank says it is even worse than this video now. Yikes! Hopefully the resorts will get their act together soon to get this road drivable!

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

Cheapest way to solve the problem might be to do a partial drain of the swamps. Probably 3 furrows each draining 2.5 square miles, with 2x2 foot cross section would be sufficient. They would drain about an additional 1 foot per month, whenever the swamp is higher than a certain level. For the main road between La Colonia and PM, that level would be only 2 feet above sea level, and the furrow would run 3/4 mile southeast, draining into the sea just south of town. At deepest its bottom would be 20 feet below grade. A culvert would be placed under the road to El Cid, and 2x2 foot notch, with steel plate cover would be at the main road.

Edited: 5:40 pm, November 16, 2013
Kent England
Level Contributor
507 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

they were fishing in the potholes when we were there in September. It really does give the whole area the wrong image.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The road to ERC, DRC, Now Sapphire, Acamaya, and OC&T

April, the road along the coast south to PM is in equally bad shape.