We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM in Puerto Morelos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ATM in Puerto Morelos

It has been quite some time since we have heard if any cards have been compromised at the ATM. Has anyone had any difficulty or know of anyone who has? We will be arriving in PM soon for 3 weeks and expect to use the ATM there.

Thankyou!

Stonewoman

illinois
Level Contributor
560 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

What is update on HSBC machine in Centro since all the December rip offs? Since we have an HSBC card and will be in Centro it would be nice to know. Anyone aware? It is hard to believe the local store and police would let this go on 2 months and HSBC would end up paying for ongoing thefts (ps we are coming from Akumal so Airport ATM not an option).

Kenai
Level Contributor
693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

We are in PM now and have used the ATM in the square ( HSBC) several times with no issue so far.... We are nervous about it though.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
299 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

We are arriving in PM on Friday and were planning on using the ATMs there. Please let me know which ones are the safest. We will not have a car so not sure we can use the 7 11 one mentioned above! Now I am nervous :(

Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
802 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

We used the ATM-Santander that is across from the square around the corner from the police station...next to the tiny italian restaurant. One protection that I used was to keep the funds in that particular account very low (only enough to get what I wanted that day) by using my online banking to transfer the funds from another account. I checked my account every day. One thing to notice that, in my case, the funds were not shown to be taken out of my account over the weekend but showed up on Monday and confused me when I saw multiple withdrawals on Monday when I knew that I hadn't made more than one withdrawal, then it clicked! It is difficult to prevent very clever fraud artists but I figured if there was no money in the account, except for a few minutes, they couldn't get anything.

Salt Lake City USA
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

The Santander ATM near the police station has not had any problems reported so far. You should see a transparent plastic card slot with 16 blinking green LEDs embedded. It should be a split-level slot. (You will recognize what that means when you see it).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
299 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

Thanks for your help! I will definitely use the Santander near the police station. Can't wait to get to PM and out of this cold weather :)

illinois
Level Contributor
560 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

Sooooo anyone used HSBC recently?

Kenai
Level Contributor
693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

I used it two days ago. No problem.

st louis, mo
Level Contributor
113 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

We used the Santander all last week no problem. I'm a Bank of America customer so I didn't have any atm fees but did have to pay a 3% conversion fee.

Double checked when I got home averaged 12.50 to 1 after the conversion, not bad.

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
30. Re: ATM in Puerto Morelos

I used the HSBC ATM on the square while I was there the first week of March. Last Friday $1500 was taken out of my checking account. Luckily card security denied the additional withrdrawal attempts.

My credit union is requiring a police report to refund my money. . . any ideas how I'd get that now that I'm back in the states.