We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

Both of these resorts have great rates and seem to be ranked the same. We are 2 forty somethings interested in a great ocean front room and good food & drink options. These two resorts also have not so bad upgrade options to preferred/premier packages. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Union, Mo near St...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

I've only been to the OCT and am planning a return with my 9 y/o granddaughter. Have seen the El Cid and looks nice. To me it would be a flip of the coin, although I like the larger beach area at OCT.

Black Hills of...
Level Contributor
756 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

Depending on when you plan to go, I will be able to give a comparison when I return home the beginning of March 2014 after a 2 week stay at Ocean Coral and Turquesa. We have already stayed at El Cid, so I will be able to compare then.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

I have stayed at both. From comments above I don't think OCT has the larger beach area. It is longer but skinnier. I was happy at both. I was privileged at OCT and not at El Cid. If pricing was the same and all things were equal I would chose El Cid. I would go back to either for the right deal. Feel free to get specific about what you care about and I can be more detailed about my likes and dislikes. I write pretty detailed reviews so if you want to click on my name and look at my contributions you can read my review of both. Feel free to PM me with questions too.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

Preziam, we are planning on a last minute 7 day stay leaving on the 25th of this month. I am leaning more towards El Cid, due to the fact that those ocean "front" rooms look really enticing. Ocean Coral looks nice as well, but with the "preferred" deal, you are guaranteed an ocean "view". There is a difference. We found that out a couple of years ago. My biggest deal is that room on the ocean. My husband could care less. No excursions, just lounging at the resort. I am actually one of those rare travellers that look forward to returning to the room, so I would love that really nice room with the great view. Which resort (in your opinion) have the nicer room? All I plan to do on 'this" vacation is read, eat, drink, sleep ;-)

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

In both resorts I had 1 bedroom suites. OCT was amazing and came with the privileged which is why I had it. On the beach and I could throw a ball over the beach into the water. It was my favorite suite probably ever. That building was suites only though. I loved my suite at El Cid too and we had building 17. View was perfect but not as close as OCT. There are tons of regular rooms in that building too. There are 4 really good buildings at El Cid for OV. The GM is a regular here on TA and tends to take care of people who are active on TA. You can PM here or PM me if you want his email. His name is Ricardo Bustamante and you can link to him where he responds to reviews. All the TA people who were there when I was and emailed him first got a room in one of the good buildings. That still is no guarantee and may not solve your issue. I am sorry I don't know more about regular rooms but I travel with the wife and 2 kids so we always get 1 bedroom or family suites.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

We have stayed at both. Both were nice resorts, nice rooms, but the service, in my opinion, was lacking at both and I'm now beginning to think it's because of their "privileged" options. Don't get me wrong, we had an enjoyable time at both, but I don't like "class systems" at any resort. I can see paying to upgrade for a better room, but service and quality of food and drinks should be equal to all guests.

In order to insure you get ocean front rooms and better food and drink, I think you'd have to buy their privileged package, but it won't guarantee it.

Now if you want to pay a little more and know you are getting an ocean front room, great food and drink, and great service, you might take a look at the Royal in Cancun, Real Resorts, which is adult only. Compare what you'd pay for an upgrade at El Cid or OCT to what you'd get there on an entry level room, and see if it's all that much difference.

Anyway, I did like the rooms at El Cid and the beach/water better. The water at El Cid was swimable where at OCT, it was very murky and I'm told this is not a seasonal or weather related issue, that's just the way it is.

I also thought El Cid was a lot easier to get around, (although neither are mega resorts).

Edited: 4:33 pm, October 03, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

Thanks for the heads up mo32 pertaining to the Royal in Cancun. Was also looking at the Royal Sands, but really wanted to explore the Riviera Maya side of Mexico, but I am considering Royal Sands as well. Preziam, that room information (proximity to the beach) is just what I needed. Will book one of these 3 resorts tomorrow. Thanks for all information. It was extremely helpful!

new hampshire
Level Contributor
693 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

I was at the El Cid last year we are going to Coral Turquesa in March or 2014 but the ONE good thing about El Cid is you can drink the water they have ther own purification system and everything was beautiful we did not have one complaint aout this resort, we did go into Puerto Morelos and it is a very quant town we did eat lunch at the restaurant on the beach and the food was awesome otherwise there is really nothing to the left or right of the resort except for Coral & Turquesa I would definately recommend this to you!!!!!

NY
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

Hi- would you send me the managers name for marina el cid?

thanks,

Have you ever used the butler service?

Mea

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
155 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Marina El Cid or Ocean Coral&Turquesa?

The managers name is Richard Bustamante. I emailed him a couple of days ago pertaining to my arrival in a little over a week, but so far I haven't received a reply. From what I understand, he is pretty hands on and he always post a reply to all reviews.