We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ALL ERC hints and tips??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Woodstock, GA
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ALL ERC hints and tips??

We are biting our nails trying to get through these last couple of weeks before getting to ERC!! Any hints or tips about the resort?? Anything and EVERYTHING is appreciated! We don't have the budget for Excellence Club...but wishful thinking that my sparkling personality will warrant a free upgrade :)

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

Hello,

We will be traveling to ERC for the third time in 4 years, this September. We will be staying in the Excellence Club area again.. I wouldn't count on getting upgraded. When I was double checking my package price, I couldn't find any sites that had excellence club rooms available in September or October. I don't know if it's due to construction upgrades, or higher than normal capacity for this time of year.

Don't worry that you will be missing a lot. We travel for our anniversary and the excellence club area includes an anniversary package if your stay is at least 7 nights. This is the main reason we book the excellence club. We spent time with many couples at the resort who were not in the excellence club. From the conversations we had, the level of service is great in all areas, and the rooms are the same. .

There is so much information on this site. The following information has been listed many times, but it's worth repeating.

Don't be afraid to try all of the different restaurants. Everybody's tastes are a little different.

Unless there is a hurricane in the area, don't pay a lot of attention to the week long weather forecast. Chances are, this time of year, that it will be calling for rain every day. It did the first two time we were there in September. Most of the time it was 15-30 minute showers and usually over night.

The Grill and Lobster house are joined together. If you want surf and turf, ask your server. They always accommodated me.

The only restaraunt that takes reservations is Spice, for the Teppanyaki rooms where the chef cooks in front of you. We never bothered to do this, but people that have done it, really enjoyed it. Be at the restaurant 30 minutes before opening to make your reservation.

Take note of their dress codes for the different restaurants and pack accordingly.

They will give you a sheet for the next day's activities. They usually close one or two restaurants every evening, which will be listed.

Monday and Friday they have theme nights with a buffet and entertainment. They are set up with 4 couples at each table. We always enjoyed going to these and meeting other couples from different areas.

Make sure you bring plenty of suntan lotion, bug spray, and over the counter medicine. These items are very expensive at the resort.

Tips are not necessary, but we did. Not to get better service. Because we got such great service. We tipped in U.S. currency.

If you are ocean swimmers, there was an area of rocks at the edge of the water. Bring some water shoes.

We enjoyed the shows and liked the theater layout. IMHO the shows are entertaining, but none are "can't miss". If you do plan to see a show, arrive at the restaurant of your choice the first hour after opening. We never had to wait for a table when arriving at this time. This left us plenty of time to get a good seat at the theater and have a couple of cocktails before the show started.

You can be as active, or inactive as you want at this resort. They offer many activities during the day but don't push you to get involved.

If you have any questions or needs while there, don't hesitate to ask. I found all of the resort employees to be very helpful and competent. The only time there were any issues, was when the employee's English was not the best. (This was only the case with a few of the cleaning people). We were always able to find another employee to help interpret our needs. I really need to work on improving my Spanish, because I see many trips to the Riviera Maya in my future.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,490 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

Hi

We have been to ERC several times and love the place

Biggest tips are to try and vary where you eat all three meals of the day as much as possible so you can enjoy all that is on offer

Take a little time out to do some planning and make sure you read the daily newsletter to see what is going on

If you are going to have room service for breakfast one morning please note you can oder it the previous evening as this will save you some timing waiting in the morning

If anything is not quite right or if you need anything mention it to one of the concierge staff right away as they want all their guests to have a perfect trip and want to come back or go to one of their other resorts

Have fun

Woodstock, GA
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

Thank you both so much! This is a huge help and we arw just so very excitedito get there! We travel to Mexico every year but this is our first stay at ERC. Iwe have stayed at Secrets SS and Capri and EDR..but believe ERC will be our favorite! It is our anniversary and we plan to enjoy all the resort restaurants for sure! Thanks again for your input!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,091 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

Go early to the Grill or Lobster House if you want a seat along the rail. Very nice.

Mark

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
630 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

Every night they give you a list of the next day's activities. There is always a special massage of the day. We always wait for the couples massage to be featured and do on the day of the special. I love the massage as well as the ability to do the water circuit!

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
630 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

I should also add that we took the comfy padded chair cushions from the pool area and took them to the beach chairs. AMAZING! :-)

Norfolk
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

We took one dollar bills for tipping. Simples :-)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

What does the anniversary package in the excellence club include?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,490 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

SB

See link below

excellence-resorts.com/weddings-romance/hone…

Woodstock, GA
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ALL ERC hints and tips??

The first of this link is free to all guests provided you make note at time of booking and bring your marriage certificate with you. We did make note and are bringing our certificate with us. The second nore luxurious one listed here is free only to excellence club members staying 7 or more days. We did enjoy our free package when we were at E Punta Cana.