We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

Hi all, in looking at our flight schedule from Boston to Cancun to go to the EDR resort in September, I see that there will be no layover time in Miami to grab a lunch and no "food" (I use that word loosly) on the plane from Miami to Cancun. Then its off to the shuttle bus to go to EDR. Unless I pack a dozen granola bars for Hubbie and me, any suggestions on grabbing something to eat at the airport before we head for the shuttle? Othewise, its looking like a big chunk of time where I will be pretty hungry, therefore progressively grouchier....I really would like to avoid dropping my bags in our room at EDR and racing to find a restaurant that might be open before I faint. Thanks!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

There are plenty of places to eat at Cancun airport but you will pay dearly for that. I always thought that at JFK prices are ridiculous but Cancun airport is just crazy.

Edited: 12:40 pm, July 30, 2013
Ontario
Level Contributor
7,246 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

Airport website:

asur.com.mx/asur/…tourist_info.asp

Look under Passenger Services and then Commercial Services.

Toronto
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

I would still pack granola, sandwiches and/or other items rather than eat the over-priced, high fatty/fried food at the airport.

Besides, once you get to Cancun, you're so close!

Makes more sense to bring a snack to munch on while boarding your connecting flight! Wait for the good stuff at EDR!

Enjoy!

Edited: 1:38 pm, July 30, 2013
Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

Get drunk on the flight...it curbs hunger!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

SeaBass, are you sure we aren't related LOL :) OK, as a health conscious person, I will skip the junk at the airport and just drink extra milk (mudslide or Sombrero) on the plane. 40 odd days and away we go! Wedding destination location for our daughter- yee hah!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,828 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

I do all I can to avoid buying any food and drink at the Cancun airport. I worked for an airline and CUN had the reputation among employees of the airport to avoid buying anything.

Toronto
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

I found this great list of ideas...

Kind bars

Cliff bars

nuts

homemade trail mix

cheese sticks

apples

grapes

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

homemade cookies

veggies and hummus packed in a 3-ounce container (any dip-like food more than 3 ounces could get confiscated)

I would ask any near by people if they have a nut allergy about the peanut butter if you eat it while on the plane!

Edited: 2:44 pm, July 30, 2013
Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

Keep in mind, you must consume the PB&J sandwiches before you go thru customs...

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,076 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

I have seen people get the red light at the airport Mexican customs - sandwiches usually go into the garbage

If it is non meat/dairy and commercially packaged (e.g. granola bars), you should be alright

Boston
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating at airport in Cancun on way to PM?

Thanks and no worries, I learned a long time ago to avoid packing messy items and happen to love Power bars and all those things. Maybe bulking up on breakfast will help. Either way, it'll be a great trip.