We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi I'm travelling from England can anyone tell me what's the best currency to take the dollar or pesos. Thanks

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Pesos.

Richmond, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Thanks for that. Only 89 days to go.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

I'm traveling from the US to Wales. Should I take Polish Zloty or UK Pounds?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
579 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Take a credit card Mark and maybe a smidgen of understanding ;))

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

Currency is almost as volatile a topic as tipping and swimming with dolphins. Being American I bring primarily USD and have been called lazy. So be it. However I'm not sure why if traveling from country A to country B, you would bring currency from country C.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

I think it harkens back to the day when the USD was seen as the universal currency. I think if you looked at the demographics of those asking the question you would find they might still think that. Twenty years ago when I travelled globally I used to just carry American dollars, and change them locally, it was much simpler. With globalization the USD is no longer universal. For me, I request money on-line from my bank if I want MXP, or S. African Rands, Chinese yuan or Mozambique Metacals and they are there like 3 business days later.

I think the day will come where USD will not be accepted in Mexico as readily. And as soon as you join the rest of the world and get rid of your expensive paper dollar and go to coin that might do it.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

I am going to Africa in a week....guess what currency they told us to bring? yup, USD. :) So not really that odd of a question, no. Although in Mexico, we always use pesos, usually just use our debit cards to get them from the ATMs once there.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
297 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

im from uk too, and taking dollars but only because if theres any left i can easily reuse them on next trip to florida in a year and halves time. also think dollars are easier to convert/ work out (im more familiar with them). hope the mexicans wont think rude of me taking dollars.

Edited: 4:16 pm, June 27, 2013
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

They won't think you are rude....the service people are happy with it, a tip is always appreciated....and the shops are happy because you will be paying from ten to twenty percent more using dollars! ;)

Edited: 11:45 pm, June 27, 2013
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

Rissask you said what I was going to say. Go ahead and take US money to Mexico if you like paying more than you need to. Especially if you live somewhere other than the US and have to convert money to US bucks and then to pesos. You are really ripping yourself off then.

Pesos is the currency of Mexico, take pesos! You'll get a better deal on whatever you buy with pesos.