We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Carol Stream...
Level Contributor
776 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

Couple in early 50's. Looking for a quiet, high end resort that offers the following: good food,good work out facilities, great beach... romance!! Night life not needed but nice bar for martini's, after dinner drinks would be great!! No need to be near any of the attractions....been there, done that. Beachfront room would be great, where I can literally walk out and be on the beach/water. Going early March 2014

We have been to the Cancun, Riviera Maya area 3x. We stayed at: Sun Palace (24 yrs ago),Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya (with kids, 10 yrs ago) and Royal Hideway (12 yrs ago). For anyone who has stayed at any of these resorts....loved Sun Palace and Royal Hideaway...Riu was great with kids but would not go back....no oceanfront rooms, no bar service on beach and too far of a walk to beach (things may have changed). RH was WONDERFUL however, would like rooms closer to beach.

Looking all over the place in that area but really need some help. Just when I pick a resort I like, BAM, I see the negative reviews and get discouraged. We used to travel alot but have been going to our condo in Marco Island lately so kind out out of the loop. Can you help?!

Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Sun Palace
Sun Palace
6,568 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera...
5,866 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5,019 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Marco Island
Marco Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
IL
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

Zoetry!

The only point they do not qualify for in your list is workout facilities.... only a small gym. They offer yoga and 'aqua' classes, though.

All rooms are beach-front. No nightly entertainment. 'Library' bar open nightly for martinis/drinks.

A very quiet and low key place.

The only issue is that a few years ago they started allowing kids.... mainly to attract wedding parties, I think. But they charge full price for kids and we have seen very few (we go usually in mid-May).

There are only three restaurants: Mayan, grill, and upscale/continental.

Wonderful pool and beach service during the day for drinks and snacks.

(we are in our early 50's btw and love the fibe at Zoetry.... some honeymooners, some older couples, and some in between.... )

If you are looking for peace and quiet, I think you'll like it.

I have been on the Puerto Morelos board a lot lately because we will be at Zoetry in the few weeks... Can't wait!

Have fun,

Pam

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La...
2,489 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

Secrets. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g4053317-d10075…

Edited: 10:24 pm, May 02, 2013
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
61,743 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

See reply to your thread on the Playa Mujeres Forum

Places you could look at would be

Excellence Riviera Cancun

El Dorado Maroma

Blue Diamond

Paradisus La Perla

Secrets Maroma Beach

Going in March you will need to check which resorts have heated pools and if these are available for all guests as the water is still likely to be chilly

Mentioned in this post
Playa Mujeres
Playa Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
13,844 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
El Dorado Maroma, by Karisma
El Dorado Maroma, by...
4,486 Reviews
Playa Maroma, Mexico
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del...
9,961 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Erie, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
726 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

You should take a look at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. I have actually stayed at the resort, so i can assure you i know what I am talking about when i recommend a resort.

The IBG checks off your "must haves" and has true ocean front rooms. They are amazing! It is elegant and upscale in every way and offers excellent customer service throughout the resort. I was just there in March and would go back in a heartbeat!

Feel free to PM me if you would like more information.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
6,314 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

If you prefer the Cancun area, definitely check out Secrets The Vine. It has the BEST gym of any resort we have visited. Spacious rooms all with ocean views. I have tons of pictures if you are interested. I think I took 400 pics in 3 days!

All other items on your checklist make me think you would like Iberostar Grand Paraiso. There is no other resort with the same WOW factor. Service was outstanding and oceanfront rooms were steps from powder white sand.

We make a point of visiting different resorts each time we vacation (3 resorts/year) so we have many to compare. Our Top 5 Mexican resorts are IGP, SMB, STV, EPM, Royal Suites Yucatan.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
6,314 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
TRS Yucatan Hotel
TRS Yucatan Hotel
2,588 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

excelent

Holland PA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

I was at Paradisus La Perla from 6/19 through 6/23.

Based on your needs / wants, I would not choose that resort. The other side of the resort is La Esmeralda which allows families. There are dedicated restaurants for adults only but you may find that the buffet for breakfast & lunch will have kids in them.

We ate dinner at the Brazilian Steakhouse that had more families with young kids in it at the time as opposed to adults without children.

The beach is OK and to the left of the LaPerla is the kid / family section of the beach.

Bottom line....if you choose the LaPerla be prepared to encounter kids from the La Esmeralda section of the complex...the complex is shaped like a square & although sections are marked "adults only" there are no border guards to insure compliance.

Mentioned in this post
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del...
9,961 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

For a true adult only with rooms on the beach the best choice would be Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Many of the others that people have listed are nice resorts but do not have ocean front rooms.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Grand Hotel...
6,314 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Kent England
Level Contributor
512 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

hi, we are going to ERC in September similar ages, will let you know what we think. Just as a wild card have a look at paradoxes Rio Del Too in Cuba. Been there twice great hotel very tropical and met lots or returnees.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
10. Re: Help, here's what I am looking for!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 06, 2014