We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is excellence better than secrets

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
546 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is excellence better than secrets

Trying to decide for next yr what do people like better Secrets Maroma or Excellence, We came back from secrets had a great time, but the patio was small, and a couple people were getting sick please let me know your views

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

Certainly the balconies at EPM are some of the best we have experienced - love the large day bed

central NJ
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

I just returned from SMB last week. While we were there we met two couples that had been to ERC and thought it was a better resort. One couple had their wedding at ERC and then came to SMB for their honeymoon. They were disappointed and wanted to to go back to ERC. Of course now I want to try one of the Excellence resorts!

Illinois
Level Contributor
472 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

I've stayed at ERC twice, SMB twice, and EPM once. I would be happy to stay at any one of them again, as they all offer a similar experience and I enjoyed all three. However, I think the Excellence resorts are a better value, especially compared to SMB, which I believe is overpriced.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

Totally agree with you RedNailz. SMB is overpriced compared to other 5* adult-only resorts. It seems to draw an older crowd which could factor why the honeymoon couple didn't like it as much. They have the best beach and better personalized service than ERC (concierge in each building) so maybe that why it's priced higher. Secrets The Vine have the same service as SMB with outstanding beach but is a totally different experience....not a resort, more like a hotel....but was a younger crowd and priced less than half price of SMB from Canada.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

Secrets maroma has a better beach nomquestion about it.

But ERC has a better layout, and more options of dining and lots of swimming pools, we actually thought it had better food than SMB, we will be returning to ERC ..first resort I will visit twice after 5 years in a row.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

According to their blog SMB has recently been award the AAA 5 Diamond Award if such awards mean anything to you and are an influencing factor in your selection process

secretsresortsblog.com/2013/…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

What bothers me about AAA ratings is that resorts like Now Sapphire, and Dreams Punta Cana are 4 diamond.

Mark

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,630 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

Very true

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

And it says Now Sapphire (2004). Now Sapphire didn't exist in 2004. It was called Paradisus Riviera Cancun, and I stayed there in 2007 or 2008. I later stayed there when it became Now Sapphire, and it wasn't nearly as good. Structurally, it's the same, but shouldn't management, restaurants, etc. have something to do with it?

Not to mention that Excellence Riviera Cancun, right next door, is also 4 diamond, and there's just no comparison between the two.

Mark

Edited: 2:03 pm, May 05, 2013
20. Re: Is excellence better than secrets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 07, 2014