We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

anyone have any views on these resorts? let me tell you what we are looking for. we are a family of 4. our kids are ages 13 and 16. we have been to el cid 2 years ago and loved the cliff jump. our kids loved it. what we did not like was no outdoor eating. no place to get burger or anything on the beach, always had to dry off and such to go get a snack. also, right now the price has jumped about 700 dollars from the last time we looked. we are going first part of june. kids liked the room service being included. and we thought the roooms were nice. my travel agent is wanting us to take a look at barcelo tropical. i am concerned that the size is too big. we have never been to any of the giant resorts. always travel to smaller ones. i am on here almost daily and wanted to get you guys opinion. thanks for your help!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

I have been to Barcelo (Beach once, Palace 3 times) and El Cid (once). The Barcelo is 5 resorts together (from south to north: Beach/Caribe, Tropical/Colonial, Palace). It is a much bigger, much different feel. That said, the pools are huge and beautiful (but nothing equivalent of the jumping wall), and the beach is outstanding with a ton of mature palms to lounge under (no palapayas). There is still a lot of coral, but you learn what sections you can enter without "rocks." The coral makes for amazing snorkling, and you can encounter all kinds of interesting wildlife including turtles, rays, lobsters and all kinds of fish. If you google "Unofficial Barcelo Maya" you will find a site with a forum that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know.

There are beach snack bars where you can eat with just a coverup... relaxed outdoor dining.

All that said, if having a room near the beach is important, you won't have that here unless you pay for the priv upgrade, and then you will be near the pools and beach, but likely the ocean will be obscured by the palms. Also, when close to the beach, you are far from the lobby. There is a lot more walking at this resort. But it is all quite beautiful.

The experience will be different, meaning you can plan a day going from resort to resort (only the Palace will be "off limits" if you stay at the Tropical), dine at different restaurants and try different lobby bars and pools. You can easily walk out and catch a colectivo from the resort and go to PDC or Tulum (ruins or pueblo) and see the areas south of Playa. Note also this means 1 hour or sometimes more from the airport to get to the resort.

I love them both! This year I'm taking the kids back to El Cid. You just have to decide what kind of vacation you want. You can (and will) love either choice! :-)

Any other specific questions, ask away!

Donna

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

Thanks for all the info!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

El cid 20 minutes from the airport, isnt Barcelo 90 minutes or so? Might not be a deal breaker for some people but for me it is. Just wondering how far it actually is from the Cancun airport?

Spring Grove
Level Contributor
130 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

We stayed at the palace last year and are going to the el cid this year. If you are looking for outside snack area the barcelo resorts do not have an outside snack area. The smaller eating areas are in an open air building but they do not allow you to take food to the beach or pool area. We wished they did but they don't. 45 days until we are at el cid. Cannot wait!

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

I have been to both and for service El Cid is far superior. If that is improtant to you, go to El Cid.

Thetford Mines
Level Contributor
784 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

Just a heads up-there are no outside snack areas at El Cid either. You are not allowed to bring food to the pool areas or out of the buffets or restaurants.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

We have stayed at the Barcelo properties 3 times, and are considering a 4th visit, our 1st Mexican vacation with our children though, and for that reason the El Cid seems much more appealing to us. I like that for a small fee (compared to the Barcelo) we can have our own master bedroom. Extra space for us and our kids is paramount in my opinion. The Barcelo resorts are HUGE. Tropical/Colonial are totally manageable with kids, imho, but my DH and I nearly killed ourselves from all the walking we did at the Palace in November! And we are both YOUNG and FIT! It just got to be alot of walking - and with kids, I like the idea of easily being able to find each other if/when we seperate, and that if we say "meet you at the beach in an hour" we will actually be able to find each other! LOL The thing I would miss most about the Barcelo is the beautiful beaches. The amazing snorkelling and our favorite bartender, Antonio. He used to work at the Havana Cigar Bar, and now he works at the Tropical/Colonial open air theatre bar. He makes great drinks. Tell him Charity "Shark Attack" sent you and he'll make you some extra special Spiderman shots. LOL

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

We like the idea too of being able to meet easily at the beach chair or what have you. That was our main reason we like the small resorts. We booked el CID as of last week!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

Awesome! When are you guys going? Can't wait to hear your thoughts!!

Marion, Iowa
Level Contributor
803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: cant decide el cid, or barcelo tropical

June 4-10