We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

We just got back from the El Cid, where we stayed for 5 nights this week. We had an excellent time! We are going to post a full review on the hotel page and submitted about 25 pictures that should post soon, so be on the look out. Everything there was more than we expected. The room was VERY nice. We got the junior suite and it had a kitchen, living room, 2 bathrooms, and a bedroom. The bed was nice and comfy and even came with a pillow menu if you wanted a different pillow. We had a balcony and part of the view wasn't so great because they are still working on construction there, but we did have a nice view of the ocean for the other part.

The pool was incredible and had a great slide and a cliff to jump off of. There was also a swim up bar with 50 (yes..50!) kind of tequila. They serve top shelf liquors, including the very expensive Don Julio tequilla. If you go, you must try it. Very good! The jacuzzi area was also very nice. A little hot during the day to sit in a jacuzzi, but nice for the evening. They have spa services by the jacuzzi and you can get a massage out there.

The beach was also very nice. The water has some algea in it and wasn't too clear, so go lay out at the beach and then head to the pool to cool off. The beach has nice little thatch huts so you can pull your chair into the shade if you want to cool off, too. The service was excellent and we always had someone coming by while we were on the beach seeing if we needed another drink. There are also water sports including snorkeling, sailboat rides, kayakes, and bike boats to take out for free. The hotel also does bike tours into town, aqua aerobics, and schedules all the off-site excursions.

And then the food - just incredible. There are 3 restaurants. The first is the buffet place at the main building, and they do a great breakfast there. The lunch was also very good. We didn't try the buffet for dinner, but I heard good things about that, too. They usually do a different cuisene each night. The medeteranian restaurant that is only open for dinner was just fantastic. They have a full wine menu and bottles are included. There is a great salad bar and the bread is out of this world! The menu was also very good. We ate there 4/5 nights. We had most of our lunches at the restaurant by the pool. It has some Mexican stuff but also has pizza, cheeseburgers, etc. We enjoyed the marina restaurant for the one dinner there, but were disappointed that they didn't have any lobster that night after it was played up so much. But we had the flounder, which was excellent, so all and all no big deal.

The entertainment at night was enjoyable. They bring in different groups that do shows. They also had bingo one night. We enjoyed the lobby bar, which is open until 1am, and the bartenders there were lots of fun.

Oh and FYI - they will tell you on your first day that they want to do breakfast or lunch with you the next day. That is where the timeshare pitch comes in. We declined, and our host seemed rather put off by it, but we knew what it was about and just weren't interested. But we met several people who heard the pitch and the staff wasn't overly pushy or anything.

That's all I can think of now. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Rittman, OH
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

Ugalaw - Thanks for the info. I'm very happy to hear they have Bub and Bud Light, we've stayed at a lot of hotels in Mexico and they never have it!

arizon
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

I was wondering if you have to wear some type of bracelet. I have read other reviews saying they did not go all inclusive. Also, you mentioned you have to turn you towels in. Are they real strict? Last time we stayed at Azul and they just had towels in baskets. I guess my concern is that the hotel is going to be almost prison like in how you eat and play. Please tell me I am wrong since I will have to pay a 250. cancellation fee.

GVD
Colorado
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

I've stayed at other all-inclusives and they always had a towel policy. I have had to carry around the plastic card they give me, exchange it for a towel, and then get it back when I turn the towel in. Sometimes we carried the towel for 2 days, but that was really more inconvenient. The towel issue is usually the most binding policy they have. Going to an all-inclusive has much freedom than going on a cruise, where your whole life is regimented. Don't worry about it!

DVB
Plainfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

Ugalaw, Thanks so much for all the info, I am so excited already and I am not even going until Labor Day weekend. But I just know myself and my friends, on our Girls Weekend Away will have a great time.

Do you know if they have any floats in the pool, or did people bring their own?

Thanks again, DVB

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

Sounds like a nice place.

My wife and I travel by ourselves and have stayed at some of the nicer AI throughout the Carribean and Mexico.

We are looking forward to our trip and to Puerto Morelos.

There seems to be a balanced mix between family and couples travel to El Cid.

How are the restaurants and beach in town?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

How is construction progressing? Spa?

south ga
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

UGALAW,

My husband and I are considering this resort and have a few more questions. You mentioned that room service is available 24hrs. Do you remember what the menu consists of? I was wondering if that only offer continetal breakfast through room service or if you could get a full breakfast. What did the mini bar consist of? I've read that they offer beer, soda, water and snacks. I was wondering what kind of beer and soda, and what were the snacks?

Have you been to other all inclusives, and if so how does El Cid compare?

Thanks so much for any input.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
28. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

Christa – you do have to wear a bracelet for the all-inclusive. They were not real strict with towels, but we always turned ours in at the end of the day to get a new one the next day. Nothing I would cancel over for.

DVB – there was one float in the pool so I would suggest you bring your own if you want to have one for sure.

VBO1 – we did not go into town but others did and said it was very nice and there were a couple restaurants to go to. We did not check out the progress on construction, but there were massages available by the jacuzzi.

Tillya – room service for breakfast was pretty simple stuff because they have a huge breakfast buffet every morning in the restaurant. For lunch and dinner the menu is pretty big – pizza, burgers, chicken, fish, etc. Mini bar had beer and soda – beer was some Mexican brand and there were cokes and Diet Coke and Fanta. No snacks that I saw. I’ve only been to one other all-inclusive but this was by far much better. We also talked to people who had been to 7-10 all-inclusives and they said this one was the best by far. It is definitely much more high end with the food and drink than the other one I went to.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

We are checking in tomorrow afternoon and will report back after our return on June 8.

Thanks for the invaluable input from the forums and Tripadvisor.

My wife and I are looking forward to a great time.

30. Re: Just returned from El Cid - what an awesome place!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 14, 2009