We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Went to book SSS yesterday..

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Went to book SSS yesterday..

however the prices have jumped over $400 for our 6 night trip.

Such a bummer. We're going to wait a few days but at that much of an increase (the increase is with the hotel not the flights) we are looking at other options. I had finally convinced myself that SSS's beach was ok, especially if we were getting a great rate but I'm just not ok settling when it's not that much of a "deal" anymore. So annoyed!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,002 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

Many resorts had a January offer on

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

Vacation and resort prices fluctuate considerably. If you aren't going soon then monitor pricing on a daily basis and when the cost is at a level where you feel comfortable then book it. If you are going soon and need recommendations for a better priced alternative, list your priorities and the readers here will have lots of suggestions.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

Aaargh - doncha hate when that happens?

I guess you're just going to HAVE to go back to the VIM again!

Too bad, I was hoping to read your review of SSS.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

Have you tried Apple vacations ?..They had some special's awhile back..

AM Resorts and Apple Vacations are owned by the same people, or at least are major shareholders...

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

Yes, very frustrating. We knew we took a gamble waiting but have never experienced that much of a pricing increase.

FFM-I wish I could pinpoint this to a sale or reason but we last looked at prices on Friday (2/1/13) so we were shocked to see that much of an increase.

Bottom line, I could stay at RPDC or Royal Hideaway for cheaper than Secrets Silversands, which is absurd. VIM is $800 less...I'm all for trying new resorts but $800 is too much for a resort with a questionable beach.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

We tried Apple, they have a great price with their chartered flight but I don't agree with the times of that flight. I'd like to stick to the AA flight we had originally picked, doing that with Apple makes it even more!

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

I would than go for Royal Hideaway, it is step up from Secrets, or back to VIM.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

If SSS doesn't come down it's going to be between Royal Playa Del Carmen or Valenin I think.

Royal Hideaway looks like an amazing resort...it's just not exactly what we're looking for for my 30th bday. Plus, we have several friends & family joining us and they can't get as good of rates for RH out of there perspective airports so that helps eliminate.

I'm just a bit shocked that SSS is asking for a higher nightly rate than RPDC. We're giving it a few more days so we'll see...

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,580 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

VIM it is! But I really want more info on SSS vs. VIM. We LOVED VIM and I'm afraid to go anywhere else now.

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Went to book SSS yesterday..

I leave for SSS at the end of this month, I'll give a report..

I've stayed at the RPDC and the RC, I'll try and compare..