We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

Looking for the best fish/mexican cheap places to eat in Puerto Morelos. Menus and/or prices would be helpful! Thanks. Looking forward to our first trip to Puerto Morelos in April.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

If you see a busy place where the ratio of patrons are just shy of all local-go there.

ct
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

I had heard the shrimp aren't local also. I was hoping the ribs would be boneless-we do like the racks of ribs if they aren't too fatty. Guess I'll have to take a look:)

I feel ok about lunch and dinner choices. Not sure what we'll do about breakfast.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

If the shrimp is being sold out of a truck or van and is the whole shrimp them most likely fresh on ice. In the stores, frozen.

Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

The ribs (costillas) at La Picolina and most Mexican rib places are "coastal ribs". It is the top part of a slab of ribs. This part is cut off of a slab to make a rack of ribs. They cut the coastal ribs into 2inch pieces. Some pieces are quite meaty, while others are mostly bone and cartilage. The whole chicken (pollo entero) is 80mx to go (para llavar) and 90mx to eat there (en mesa). We had chicken and ribs at La Pocolina last week and it was tasty. There is a place in the colonia that sells rotisserie chicken.

Vancouver.B.C.
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

Do any of the restaurants take master card? We r running low on money

Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

Go to one of the ATM machines on the square in PM. Use the ones that are in the glass booths. Those are bank owned. There is one on the corner of Blvd Jose Maira Morelos & Rojo Gomez. Another one next to the grocery store (Casa Martin).

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
87 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

Cheap Breakfast: Buy some Mexican sweet rolls (about thirty cents apiece) at Casa Martin and some fruit. Eat in park picnic style.

There's also a European style bakery across from Habaneros.

For very inexpensive and authentic breakfast walk down Rojo Gomez to the south of the park and on your left, next after Spagetino's and across from the Mayan Crafts Market is a little place. Can't remember the name.

If you want to eat the real deal order the chilaquiles or the sopes. I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. Or you can have ham and eggs if you'd rather.

s a

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

The only restaurant that might take CC's here may be John Gray's. I am not aware of any others that do.

Mpls, MN
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

BaldMac - good info on the ribs at la picolina and the area. thank u for taking the time to share.

PMFrank - we didn't see any trucks or vans selling shrimp Feb 2013 - are they common in PM? Also you state the shrimp in stores are frozen - by stores do you mean restaurants?

ourarubafamily - regarding breakfast in PM. We noticed how fresh tasting the eggs were at many places. well i guess that's why we hear so many roosters crowing. la pirata had a good ham and eggs type breakfast with incredibly refreshing freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. even bought a glass to go (para llevar) for later. other places on the zocalo had more gourmet type offerings.

remember there is a market wednesday mornings next to the church. that was fun and you are helping the locals.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Best Cheap Eats in Puerto Morelos?

The shrimp trucks/vans are not very common. Most restaurants use frozen shrimp.