We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Hi we arrived in PM yesterday and walked quite a bit. We didn't see a real grocery is it in the colonias?

Is there a place to have laundry done? We came from Isla Mujeres so we need some laundry washed.

Where can we buy liters of fresh squeezed orange juice?

Where are the best food carts if any?

We are staying at Amar Inn and would like to be able to walk somewhere for orange juice.

Is there any place to buy beer besides OXXO?

Thanks! We love it here!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Heather

Check out Vivapuertomorelos.com for great maps of the area thanks to PuertoMorelosFrank.

Edited: 9:02 am, January 16, 2013
Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Thanks 4Tide. I have a mapchick map but I didn't see any of those things on it. I will check out that one. I was hoping to cheat and get some quick answers so I don't have to stay in the room all day.

Thanks

midwest
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

You may want to take the collectivo over to the colonia.

No big grocery stores in PoMo, but there are a couple stores in the colonia bigger than Casa Martin (the one on the square). The Chulim produce markets in the colonia sell liters of all kinds of fresh juices, as well as good produce and a smattering of other things. The cochinita cart by the library in the colonia is excellent!

There are a couple of laundries near Amar Inn, one on the opposite side of Rojo Gomez as you walk into town, another on Ninos Heroes.

And lots of places sell beer--Casa Martin, most of the tiny family run stores, etc.

Enjoy your stay in Puerto Morelos!

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
758 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

For groceries your best bet in the Colonia is the fruit stands for fruits, vegetables and a few staples, and then there is a larger store (forget the name) on Timon, which the second divided road from the highway - it runs in front of Villas Morelos I.

There is a laundry on Rojo Gomez a few doors North of Cantina Habanero - 12 pesos/kilo to wash, dry, fold, and package. If you want to do it yourself, there is a laundramat just on the other side of the highway behind the first pharmacy. I don't know the cost.

Take a collectivo or a taxi to the Colonia, and then the same method back to Puerto. You could do it all on foot, but it's about a two-mile walk each way, carrying groceries back. Collectivos are 5 pesos per person, or taxi is 20-25 pesos.

Beer is sometimes a little cheaper at Casa Martin than Oxxo, but Oxxo has a bigger selection and is open 24 hours. The cheapest beer is at Costco or City Club in Cancun or Playa. For beer in town, we buy the big caguamas (glass bottles) - we buy the 1.2 liter bottles for 25.5 pesos each at Casa Martin and just pour them into cups/glasses. You'll pay a deposit (6 pesos I think) the first time, but then exchange the botles each time at Casa Martin. Save your first receipt, and you can get your deposit back with you return the bottles the last time.

I second the vote on fresh juice - either of the Chulim fruit/vegetable stands has a large selection of liter bottles of fresh juices. Selection is better in the morning - sometimes certain juices are sold out in the afternoon.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

May I ask how you like the Amar Inn?

Is it a small place with your own kitchen etc, is there a link.

I want to try a small place next time and be near the locals do my own cooking etc. This will I hope lead to finding a small cheap place to spend a couple of months.

Have fun

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
758 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

The store I could not remember is called Dunosusa. On Timon near Villas 1. They don't carry fruits/vegetables, but they have a greater selection of dry goods than other stores in town.

Plattsmouth...
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Thanks for all the great responses everyone and for the info about colectivos. We went to Dona Triny's for lunch and had a great waiter who gave us some more info too. We will check out the colonias tomorrow. We found the laundry and Casa Martin.

RJL, I love Amar Inn. It has only 9 rooms and is very quirky. It's probably not for everyone because there are some crazy stairs to the second floor rooms. It feels like it was made for me though. You can pm me any questions you have. The rooms have small refrigerators but no kitchen.

Ontario
Level Contributor
348 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Can't wait to hear a full report HeatherD. We are spending 2 weeks on Isla next month, but love to hear about "comparable destinations"

Enjoy your posts!

Boston
Level Contributor
604 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Heather you are going to love the Chulim markets and the cochinita pibil carts you find in the Colonia.

We had our laundry done at the place on Av. Ninos Heroes. and I never made it into any grocery stores when we were there. There really was no need. Even though we stayed in a condo, I didn't want to cook anything. We were up and out early for breakfast and coffee every morning.

I can't wait to hear more about your visit to PM!!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: laundry, grocery store, fresh orange juice and food carts?

Can't wait to read your trip reports for PM, Heather! Hubby prefers Isla, but I love to go to PM. Although his favorite is Akumal, go figure!