We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

There is a lot of activity going on as we end October and step into November. Here are few.

1. EL Pirata Restaurant has re-opened at their new location, on Ave Rojo Gomex, across the street from Cantina Habinero. A lot larger and a very nice decor inside. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.

2. El Nicho (The Niche) is a new restaurant located on the square in the space previously occupied by L'Oazis. The chef, Pablo Espinosa, who has been the chef at The Little Mexican Cooking School ( http://thelittlemexicancookingschool.com/) and his wife Maureen will opening within the week. Breakfast and Lunch.

3. A new European-style bakery has just opened as well. Uwe’s Panaderia estilo Europeo is located on Rojo Gomez next to El Pirata and across from Cantina Habanero. Open mornings with fresh bread and muffins daily. ( http://www.panaderia-puerto-morelos.com/engl/ )

4. Halloween will be celebrated by a walk through town for Trick or Treaters Wed at 5:00pm starting at the park. If you are going to be here and wish to hand out candy you can do so at the park or at Casa Caribe, where Cantrina Brown has volunteered to host visitors who wish to participate.

5. Cantina Habanero will be holding their annual Halloween Costume contest and party starting at 7:30 pm ( http://cantinahabanero.com/ ) The famous rock band, Vertigo 777 will be performing. ( http://www.vertigo777.com/ )

6. Día de los Muertos, (Day of the Dead) takes place on Nov 1st & 2nd. There will be exhibits and a contest for the traditional memorial altars honoring the deceased in the park..

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

Thank you for the news :)

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,287 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

Thank you so much for posting this! I'd read that Pirata was knocked down and that there was a new chef Pablo but that was all that was written. Thanks again! :-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

Thanks for the update Frank. We heard a bank might be going into El Pirata's old spot. Have you heard anything about that?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,417 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

any idea on the type of food / specialties for El Pirata and El Nicho

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

European muffins?! El Nicho?! A Halloween party?! Woo-Hoo I'm going to be eating good and having some fun!

Maybe they'll be a prize for "most ridiculous costume put together out of a backpack"!!!

Can't wait! Thanks for the info Frank. I'll be in the air in 12 hours.

Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

Also Ixchel Jungle Spa will have their Day of the dead celebration Nov 2 and have a tamale contest for who makes the best tamale in Puerto Morelos. we have 15 entries so far. Hmmm Hmm good! Event begins at 2 p.m Friday Nov 2. so come on out and enjoy tamales . Tamales are a tradtion here for Day of the Dead celebration.

Puerto Morelos, MX
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

I have not seen either menu yet but I am assuming El Pirata will contine their mexican and seafood venue. El Nicho is supposed to be a more upscale cuisine. I know one of their items will be Eggs Benedict .

I have not heard about a bank going in. Doesn't look like one though.

midwest
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

Speaking of reopenings, is there any sign of Piccolina opening in a new location?

Montreal
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

Hi Frank ,

Just wondering if you happening to know if El Pirata is still owned and opérated by the same owner i.e. Azucena Fernandez ?

See you in December !

Seattle
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Happenings and openings in Puerto Morelos

PIcolina is open. It's moved to the other side of the street and a little bit further north.