We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Planning a 4 night getaway over President's Day weekend for me and hubby.

We've previously stayed at Now Jade and Sapphire but with the 2 teens. First time in the area with no kids (yay!) so looking for R&R, decent food with beach and pool service. Since it's President's Day weekend, I want to be able to find a lounger with shade.

I was able to find the same price for El Cid with a Platinum room upgrade and Dreams regular room. Is Dreams that much more of a step up from El Cid with the platinum?

Any thoughts which would be better suited for us?

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Any thoughts re the above? Looking to book ASAP

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Well, I'll try to help you. From your post, I'm not sure which Dreams that you are talking about. But, since I have been to many Dreams resorts in the past including Dreams PA, I can speak about Dreams. I have, also, been to El Cid.

Both resorts are great. I would go back to either without hesitation.

A few differences between Dreams PA and El Cid is that at El Cid the ala carte restaurants are all air conditioned, if that make a difference to you. The beach is longer at El Cid if beach walking is something you would like. There is some snorkeling right off shore at Dreams PA and at El Cid you would have to go into town in order to take a snorkeling tour.

As far as finding a lounger with shade.........there are more of them at El Cid than Dreams PA.

I did not find Dreams a step up from El Cid in any way.

If you want answers to some specific questions, I'll try to help.

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Thanks! I should have specified that I'm trying to decide between el CID with platinum benefits and dreams riviera maya in pm. I will be going mid January during Martin Luther king weekend jan 18-22 just me and hubby. Would like a relaxing vacation. Quality of food, service, beach and pool service important to me. Looking for nice spa in the resort as well. Is mid January very busy?

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

In my many trips to Dreams resorts I have not stayed at Dreams PM. However, in the many trips to many Dreams I have to say that Dreams is heavy on service and they know how to do it well. Having said that, my one experience with El Cid was that the service was every bit as good as the service at Dreams. Both resorts have beach and pool service and both do it well. The servers are around constantly.

I have only two requirement for a good vacation. I need a clean place and good service. Both met those requirements. I am going back to El Cid this winter and as I said, been to many Dreams. I don't think you can go wrong at either.

The decor of the rooms is much better at Dreams in my experience but, there was nothing wrong with the rooms at El Cid. The rooms there were just not as "docorated." I forgot to mention this in my first post.

In my opinion, I would give El Cid a very slightly higher grade for quality of food than Dreams. Of course, food is subjective so this is only one person's opinion.

Edited: 2:37 pm, November 03, 2012
East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Thanks for the quick reply! Did you book platinum room at El Cid?

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

No, we didnt have Platinum. We did upgrade to an oceanfront room but, not Platinum.

East Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Thanks! I ended up booking dreams since they have a heated pool and the rate they were offering was great relative to how much they usually charge. Thanks again for the help!

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

In my opinion, you could not make a mistake with those two choices. Have a great vacation.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

Max2, how much is the cost to upgrade to get an oceanfront room? Not the platinum, just oceanfront?

near Chicago
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Cid with Platinum Upgrade or Dreams Regular Room?

The upgrade cost $200 for ten nights. We were in building #17 right at the curve of the building on the ground floor.

Edited: 2:21 pm, January 31, 2013