We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland
Level Contributor
391 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

There is always loads of questions and lots of confusion about what is and isn't allowed at restaurants in the hotels, especially with the men. It seems that women can get away with wearing virtually anything yet men have to wear long trousers and shirts in a very hot climate.

Why can't people wear what they like as long as they are comfortable, happy and their outfit doesn't cause offence?

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
412 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

You are right that was rude but --- the dinning rooms we are talking about are not a beach bar they are very nice dinning areas, cloth napkins, linen table covers, etc. Not sure what has happened to people and do not understand why someone whould even have to tell you how to dress. You are adults and should know better. When I go to Michigan to visit I do not wear a snowmobile coat and pants out to dinner. Thank god most of use silverware to eat.

Edited: 11:38 am, September 27, 2012
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

I do understand the dress code thing. But, there are lots of beach destinations where people are welcomed at even the most upscale restaurants in shorts and t-shirts.

Those are the places that we choose to travel. It really has nothing to do with the fact that it's hot outside, if it's air conditioned, I'll undoubtedly be cold.

It's simply a travel style. Beach to me, means casual. Very casual.

Just one more reason we choose not to stay at resorts. You can be sure if we did find ourselves there one day, we would be dressed 'by the rules'.

Canada
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

I think the rules are there to ensure a comfortable and non-offensive atmosphere for all the guests. We went to a resort where there were no rules at all and many guests took it to the extreme - for example, people would come in for lunch in their very skimpy bathing suits (no cover ups & stuff hanging out!!!), topless hairy men with sweat and sand dripping from their bodies reaching into a big bowl of steaming paella did not provide for an enjoyable an appetizing atmosphere. It was really gross!!!

Toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

My SO and I were at a resort last January and they happened to let a man into one of the a la cartes wearing a hockey jersey and jeans. Not only did he look like a slob, but his "partner"-- and I used this term very loosely-- was wearing the trashiest denim skirt and skanky top. They were both very drunk, rude and obnoxious. Despite their embarrassing antics and attire, the man was dropping cash on expensive bottles of wine and cocktails for his (ahem) "lady-friend".

I think that the rules are enforced--unless you slide the doorman/hostess some dough. Wealth does not equal class and I think a lot of people with more money than brains think they are better than everyone else and therefore, the rules are not for them. If anyone tries to question them, they slap some cash in their hand and mosey on in.

Just a theory.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

This arguement just seems so ridiculous to me. These ala cartes have dress codes, so abide. Ifyou dont want to, then go to one that doesn't have them. How is that hard to figure out? And if you dont' do the research and then complain after you get back, then that's all on you.

My hubby doesn't particularily like it, but the resorts I like have it. He packs one pair of khakis, wears them to the ala cartes, heads back to the room and changes, not a biggie.

Why try and change the rules, just follow them or go somewhere else, simple.....

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
767 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

yep, i do the same thing, marrie - wear the pants to dinner and change back to shorts after dinner. a bit of a hassle, but no biggie.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

"This arguement just seems so ridiculous to me. These ala cartes have dress codes, so abide. Ifyou dont want to, then go to one that doesn't have them. How is that hard to figure out? And if you dont' do the research and then complain after you get back, then that's all on you. "

Well said.

Northumberland
Level Contributor
391 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

"This argument just seems so ridiculous to me. These ala cartes have dress codes, so abide. If you dont want to, then go to one that doesn't have them. How is that hard to figure out? And if you dont' do the research and then complain after you get back, then that's all on you. "

I did do my research, am not arguing and did abide by the dress codes - I originally just asked the question because people seemed to be so hung up about dress codes. Its like I said previously - it is one of those subjects where nobody can agree.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
601 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

I think people are 'hung up' on them because they are so erratic. They seem to be enforced for some people and not others. Some hotels make it very confusing. Personally, I wish they would be a little more clear or even show some examples. It's not that I'm adverse to getting dressed up, it's that I want to make sure I am properly dressed, neither under nor over dressed. I don't know how many times I've gone out to eat in my home area and shown up way overdressed because someone did a poor job of explaining the dress code. I end up being the only one NOT in jeans and feel uncomfortable the whole time. No one wants to be wearing a tuxedo in Burger King.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Why are people and hotels so hung up on dress codes

I have to agree about dress codes not being enforced. IMHO...if there is going to be a dress code it should be enforced. We dress for dinner, then change after for evening activities. And....hubby wears the same pair of pants every single night, just changes his shirt. I also agree with the statement that if you don't want to dress for dinner, go to the buffet.