We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas Hill Country
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

We are considering Now Sapphire for 3 of our nights in Riviera Maya (early Oct). I see a lot of people suggesting the upgrade to Preferred Club but are you booking it that way or upgrading once you are there? What is the best way to do this and the most cost effective (while booking or once you're there to upgrade)? Thanks for any tips or suggestions. *SmiLes* Suzanne

Boardman, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

While never there, lately, in the resorts I have stayed at, it was cheaper to pre book online. In years passed, you could "bribe" a front desk clerk with $50 or $100 for an upgrade, but the management really watches it now. I's email them and see what their upgrade rate is and cross check it against online prices.

Boston...
Level Contributor
104 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

I was at the Now Sapphire last Nov and prebooked the Preferred. I'll be there this Nov and already prebooked the Preferred. It's safer to do it ahead of time as you never know if they'll even have rooms available at check in.

Oxford, Michigan
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

My wife and I are leaving this Saturday (9/29) for a week at the Now Sapphire and pre-booked the preferred at the advisement of our agent. She has been there several times and feels that it is a steep upgrade on site compared to booking in advance. I have never stayed at this resort, but have combed the threads and it seems as though it is certainly worth the upgrade. She also mentioned that pre-booking the preferred club allows for quicker check in at the preferred club area and cuts down on the solicitations not only for the upgrade, but also for their whole timeshare presentation that they try to talk guests into attending. Like I said, I haven't been to this, or any other Now resort, so this is just what our agent has indicated.

When are you going to be there?

Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

Book before you go, and it should be less than upgrading while there.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

I have to say, that although i have not been to Now, but have done DRC & SSS, also Real resorts Royal & GRC, i have always booked the standard non ocean room views and have been either very fortunate and got upgraded free to Ocean view or in the case of The Royal got an upgrade to Royal Oceanfront at a fraction of the price had i of pre booked it.

I would always opt for haggling on arrival and never pay up front, there is no going back once its paid.

Toronto
Level Contributor
282 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

We upgraded when we booked. It was alot less than the prices quoted to me by the hotel.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

that was the point i was making, never ever except the first price quoted.

We never booked oceanview at SSS, got it free, would of cost hundreds extra had we have booked it at the outset.

We booked a standard royal junior suite at The Royal, was quoted £400 on arrival to upgrade to Royal Oceanfront for the four of us, again this was a LOT less had we have prebooked it, and then we haggled that price down to £200!!!

This has been my experience on all my Mexican vacations, apart from the Sensatori where i booked oceanview because it was an extremely good price anyway.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
62 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

We are going to the Now Sapphire the end of March. We tried to book oceanview preferred from Signature but they told us they had no rooms left in Oceanview Preferred at the sale price so we booked Preferred tropical view.

I emailed the hotel to ask what it would cost to upgrade and they said they had no oceanview available........ so I would say it could depend on the time of the year you go.

dorset
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

yes time of year would definately have an impact on available upgrades, and naturally affect the price as well.

We always travel Aug/Sept, resorts usually running at 60/70%, so great opportunities for upgrading.

ohio
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Now Sapphire-Do you book preferred or upgrade once there?

We are going to Now Sapphire in a few weeks for our anniversay. If I was going to upgrade I would do it with my booking.

We learned our lesson the hard way a few years ago with a resort we stayed at 6 times. (Not this resort) We upgraded threw the resort when we got there, paid our $$ for the upgrade and received a reciept from the front desk. Fortunitely when we went to check out, we had the reciept when the desk clerk asked for $1000. We then showed him our reciept which he said was worthless. I spent the better part of the hour arguing with him. Finally we contacted the general manager of the hotel and MAGICALLY the reciept was valid. Just saying..