We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from SSS

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,002 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Live from SSS

Hi folks

Very smooth transfer from ERC at 11.00 this morning and on arrival at SSS we were greeted by Salvador to welcome us back again to AMResorts. We were pleasantly surprised to find we had been upgraded to an Oceanfront Preferred Club room on the Azul side of the resort – upper floor so we have a great view of the ocean and the much talked about beach

Just love the room and as I reported last year I do this it is very cleverly designed with lots of nice touches

As it was still raining we delayed going for lunch and got unpacked and settled in with a G&T before having a nice lunch in the Seaside Grill – slightly younger crowd than at ERC and as will any wet day I think people have perhaps had a little more to drink. The entertainment team are busy try to keep people amused

Have had a walk along the beach and really like the fact that they have added all the wooden “pontoons” with the concrete whales hidden underneath to act as wave breaks. The beach is certainly much improved on last year and the seagrass is no worse than it was at ERC and that part of the coast or at PDC. When you are on the pontoons you are looking into clear water and you can see the rocky seabed

They are busy trying to clean up the beach with human manpower and also with a small digger vehicle – bit of a thankless task just now as there in still quite a lot of wave action. Personally, I am very glad they have opted not to destroy the seabed by air-blasting it as they have done in some other parts of the Caribbean as this planet needs to support mother nature. There are thousands of resorts all over the world which people can select from to find one that matched their needs

Hoping as always that the weather improves but in the meantime it will not deter us from having a great time

More honest reporting later

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live from SSS

Thanks Flip - hope you enjoy one of my very favorite resorts. Looking forward to future posts as I will be living vicariously through them.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live from SSS

PDC doesn't have sea grass. Or at least nothing like Puerto Moreles. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing sea grass there. But I've only been there five times.

Edited: 6:05 pm, May 20, 2012
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,002 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live from SSS

Well when we were at La Perla the other day they were busy raking it up and I have the photos to prove it

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live from SSS

Have a lovely evening Flip and maybe a little more G&T! I am looking forward to hearing about La Perla.

Erie, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Live from SSS

Terrific! I have a few pictures from PDC as well. Where can we post them and compare?

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Live from SSS

@Flip:

You sure seem to get your share of bad weather, I remember your trip last year and when you left Zoetry because of so much rain. Oh well, I guess that is one thing you can not control.

Congrats on the upgrade again, I am sure you were surprised although it is becoming the norm for you these days. I think you will find that the rain will not have much of an effect on the rowdiness of SSS....it is something that SSS has taken upon itself to promote, rain or shine.

I have not seen too many days of sea grass in PDC either, maybe it was just a bad day as the weather has been a bit of a downer over the last 6 days. Where is La Perla located? is it at the end of town or in the middle?

Anyways, look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on this resort as we have crossed it off of our list for the time being due to the promotion of a party atmosphere vs a romantic atmosphere.

Oh, one more thing, what to you think of that aweful mesh they have installed around the outdoor restaurants?

Edited: 7:51 pm, May 20, 2012
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,002 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Live from SSS

Stars

The upgrade was a very nice surprise as we never ask or expect anything from any resort but I do agree we are lucky more often than not

See link below to the location of La Perla

…melia.com/hoteles/…home.htm

I am sure the seagrass is not a problem at PDC most of the year but if there is weather like we have been having it will get washed ashore all along the coast. On the day we were at La Perla the amount we saw on the beach was no different to that we had seen at ERC an hour or so earlier

The netting does look a bit strange but with it being white it does not look as bad as I thought it would be. However, there were still birds in the restaurant and they had no problem getting in and out either at the entrance or at the very top of the netting - hungry birds learn quickly

Level Contributor
4,205 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Live from SSS

@Flip:

Thanks for the link. That is quite a ways north from the center of town....I can see where there would be a difference of opinions as to the sea grass situation. Most of the beach clubs and other resorts are located further south where there is less sea grass.

If the birds are still getting in then they might as well take down the netting as it takes away from the asthetics and serves no purpose.

Did you have the Lamb at Rattatouille yet?

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Live from SSS

Did you actually stay at La Perla. I did about a month ago with my family and had a great time. There was tons of seaweed in front of La Perla but we just went a few steps down the beach in front of Esmeralda and it was great. I was impressed with the resort for such a low price. The food at dinner was better than any other all inclusive we have been to including any Excellence. With time it and some improvements to staffing I believe it will be a very good resort.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Live from SSS

La Perla was a 30 minute walk to the centre of Playa along the beach. We didn't taxi in but I was told it was less than 10 minutes in to town. It is worth checking out while it is still cheap.