We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Morelos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Hi all,

Currently at ERC for my second day with the wife on our honeymoon. Resort has been great so far, but we've been really disappointed with the water quality here. Beach is nice, but water has a lot of seaweed and is very rocky/shelly on the bottom. Haven't been back in it.

We want to go spend the day somewhere that has great beaches and beautiful blue water (without all the seaweed!) I've been to Hawaii, Cozumel, other Caribbean islands with beautiful calm, blue, clear water and am trying to find something similar.

A few of the options that were suggested to me:

1) Cancun -- get dropped off at beach near Crown Paradise Club and El Pueblito

2) Playa Del Carmen -- get dropped off on 5th Avenue and walk along to find nice beach/water

3) Isla Mujeres -- North Beach? Anything better than that?

What would you guys recommend I do?? Priorities are: 1) water, 2) beach, 3) quiet (in that order)

Thanks!!!

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Walk South from your resort, or take a cab, to the beach just North of the town square in Puerto Morelos. It's about 2 miles, all on the beach, if you want to walk. Just North of the lighthouse the beach gets very wide, the town keeps it very clean, the water is clear, and there are no rocks. There are several restaurants and a beach bar in the immediate area to provide food, refreshments, and restroom facilities, and you can get any supplies you need at Casa Martin on the Square. By far the best beach in this area is right in the middle of town, and the beaches at many of the resorts are far less desirable.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

p.s. Except on Sundays, the beach near town will be VERY peaceful and quiet. Sundays aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but Sunday is the day that many local families go to the beach.

United States
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Is PM always like that or is that pretty seasonal? Walked about 1 mile south of ERC (close to Cieba del Mar, but still a bit away) and the beach was completely covered in dried out seaweed, and the water was full of it. Since it's so close to PM, I expected the beach and water to be the same...

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

The sea grass is always there in the water. The amount of grass in the water varies with factors like weather, wind, recent storms, but it is part of a living ecosystem. The section of beach I spoke of in PM has a large patch of ocean where there is a sandy bottom (no grass on the bottom), which gives it that beautiful azure color to the water, and therefore there is far less grass floating in the water in that area. This is where most people choose to swim.

In terms of grass on the beach, some areas of the beach are cleaned up more frequently than others. Between your resort and Ceiba del Mar, the beach is not maintained by the town. The resorts do it themselves. I know the guys at Ceiba do it by hand with rakes and a wheelbarrow. Then there is a long stretch of fenced-in land South of Ceiba, and the beach in front of that land is not maintained at all there, so there is a lot of grass on the beach.

Once you go South of this piece of land, the beach is raked by machine daily by the town, and it is very clean.

Since you are within two miles, take a cab into town, have lunch at a local restaurant, and then go check out the beach. If it is not for you, then you can explore further to the destinations you mentioned. Among the benefits of spending your day at the beach in PM are 1) it's closer, and you'll spend far less time in and money on transit, 2) you'll spend far less money on food, drinks, chairs, umbrellas, etc. than you will at the tourist destinations that you mentioned, 3) the beach will be FAR less crowded, and 4) as the result of #3, you won't be constantly pestered by vendors selling their wares. Enjoy!

United States
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Thanks for the great tips. I will check out PM. Disregarding cost and inconvenience, are the beaches and water better than PM at the other locations I listed? We're thinking we might be interested in getting out and visiting Isla or PDC anyway, because we haven't planned any excursions from the resorts.

virginia
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Yes the beaches are better in the places you listed. Try Isla, playa norte I believe. I didn't care for the beach at ERC either. Cozemel has great water also. Have fun whatever you decide.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
152 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Just my 2 cents worth...we spent 2 weeks on Isla Mujeres last year...this is my take on things:

Playa Norte (Isla Mujeres) is a beautiful beach! It it extremely shallow out for a long ways, the bottom is nothing but sand, very beautiful.

BUT the word "quiet" does not fit in the same sentence. We spent many days trying to find a little piece of quiet beach but there are alot of beach bars, beach clubs, umbrellas and loungers all lined up side by side etc. Lots of party boats and Cancun daytrippers spending the day.

Don't get me wong...I loved Isla and it is certainly worth a trip to see and spend some time but if you want a "quiet" beach the beach in town of Puerto Morelos can't be beat. So much more peaceful and with regards to the seaweed there is a tractor that rakes it up every morning. Also keeping in mind the weekend is very busy with the locals spending time with their families. Fun but busy!

Sycamore, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

Maroma Beach in my opinion is the most beautiful in all of Mexico..We were at SMB 2 years ago and the next year stayed at Catalonia Maroma..The resorts are right next each other..The Ocean is a beautiful turquoise,and the beaches were Deep with white sand....

dorset
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

get dropped off pretty much anywhere along the hotel zone in Cancun and i dont think you will be disappointed. Beaches and sea there pretty awesome.

Not sure Playa del Carmen is as good, certainly doesn't look it to me when looking at photos.

Isla Mujeres also gets a thumbs up as does Maroma beach.

MN
Level Contributor
610 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach and blue water? Cancun, Isla, or PDC?

It hasn't been mentioned here yet, but I would recommend Tulum. Beautiful beach, soft sand, relatively quiet, and there are lots of restaurants/beach bars to visit. This being said, I have never been there in August, only February/March. It may be much busier now.

Good luck wherever you go!